Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

After trawling through the forum today, I can see that installing HDs isn't as easy as it once was.

I have purchased a Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.12 SATA II HD as a second HD with a view to ghost my OS over and replace my aging Seagate Barracuda 200GB 7200.9. However, all is not going to plan.

My system is described under "My System"

I have installed the HD, attached the power and signal cable into one of my 4 SATA ports - no joy, PC doesn't find it in BIOS or Disk management

Ive swapped the cables over with the old 7200.9 and the 7200.9 works, so its not the cables.

Ive used all the possible combinations for the jumpers on the 7200.12 without success.

Since my my system is OEM, the BIOS is somewhat hobbled and I haven't got much in the way of options but the ones I do have have all been set to 'auto' - still no luck.

Ive downloaded Seagate disc wizard and a newer version of drivers for my South bridge but I can do anything till I get home tonight.

I had though to reset the CMOS and see if that helps but again, I cant try that till I get home.

What am I missing??
Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I doubt it does support SATA 3 but I did attempt all possible combos of jumpers. There only 4 pins - not too many combos to try :)

I downloaded the Seagate jumper details for 1.5 speed - that didnt work either.

There is one SATA plug left on the mobo that I havent tried - left field, but I guess I can tinker with the setup again

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive downloaded Seagate disc wizard and a newer version of drivers for my South bridge but I can do anything till I get home tonight.

I had though to reset the CMOS and see if that helps but again, I cant try that till I get home.
I have tried these - no luck. Still unable to see the drive in BIOS.

My only other thought is the drive is DOA. I may have to take it back and see what the store has to say.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to put this one to bed... the Seagate was DOA. The shop replaced it with a WD and I was up and running within the hour. Ghost complete with a new healthier HD. :wave:

Mods - pls close.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.