Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to add my first slave drive and will probably buy from a dealer on the Web and install it myself.

I see the model I'm interested in - Western Digital 7200rpm Cavier - advertised as "Bare Hard Drive". Photo looks like platter is exposed.

Do I need to buy a cover when installing this thing?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums bobboss..........................:D

I'm sure the photo is for example only and the hard drive will have a cover on it.

Could you post a link to the hard drive in question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://jazz.zoovy.com/product/WD80G7200

This just happens to be one link that I found while searching Price Watch.com I have not decided where I'm going to buy this yet - have no experience with this vendor. Seems that this photo - and the terminology "bare hard drive" is used by most of the companies on the net selling this drive however.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The picture with it open is just to make it look more interesting than it realy is. If the cover was off, more than likely the drive would become useless. They are only supposed to opened in a "clean room".

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Fear not, you'll get one with the cover nicely sealed in place. :) You may not get accurate jumpering information, but you can almost always find installation guides and specifications on the manufacturer's web site. FWIW, all I ever buy are bare drives, can't see spending the money on anything else.

If you hurry, there is a great deal at CompUSA, a Maxtor 7200 RPM 120gig drive for $99 after two rebates. This deal is only from the 24th thru the 27th. I just picked one up this afternoon, and I'm filling it as we speak on another system. :) Even with sales tax, it's better than I can do for a 5400 RPM 120gig on the Internet. I just checked Pricewatch and the cheapest 120gig is $126 shipped, and it's the Samsung 5400 RPM drive. Not a bad drive, I have on in my TiVo, but for $25 less you can have the Maxtor, and it's still the 3 year warranty! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the help with this. Didn't want to be surprised and find out that I only bought half of something.

I ordered online and it should arrive within a day or so. I finally decided that "Bare Hard Drive" probably means that you get no mounting brackets so I added some to my order.

I'll let you know if I discover anything else missing from package.

-bob

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
FYI - the Heads are so close to the platters, a speck of dust on the platters could concevieably cause a "head crash". If any drive is ever opened as in the picture, it's basically worthless.

Most of us don't have access to "real" clean rooms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After delivery and installation of this HD, I still can't figure out what was meant by the wording in the ads. . . "Bare Hard Drive."

I added mounting brackets to the order, but didn't need them - drive slid right into the existing cage. Cable, and jumper block was included as were instructions and a utility disk.

Go figure??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.