Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upper and lower on a 93 Dakota, drivers side came apart easy because I just had that side apart when I was working on the threads for the brake slide pins........the passenger side made up for it.....trust me
Bottom ball joints basically fell out, three or four hits with my hammer and they were in the dirt, tops I'm waiting on Scott to get home with a ball joint press, all 4 are bad, got 4 new ones today from Rock auto, paid more in shipping LOL

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,502 Posts
Don't know about these days, but when I lived in Penna. in the 40s and 50s, State Inspection included taking the weight off each front wheel and shaking for play. If over the limit, FAILED. Could be ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, bushings, control arms, didn't matter. FAILED.

·
Administrator, TSF Manager
27,018 Posts
Good luck. Suspension not my favorite thing to work on. Actually, anything automotive is not my favorite thing to work on.....:laugh:

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,283 Posts
Gotta get new ones for Hector once he's back up and running.

·
26,502 Posts
Nostalgia. My first car had kingpins as ball joints weren't around yet. I'm an old :4-fart:

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know about these days, but when I lived in Penna. in the 40s and 50s, State Inspection included taking the weight off each front wheel and shaking for play. If over the limit, FAILED. Could be ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, bushings, control arms, didn't matter. FAILED.

It is here too thing is whe the guy at Morris checked my truck everything was good, one was marginal but no lateral play in it yet

Good luck. Suspension not my favorite thing to work on. Actually, anything automotive is not my favorite thing to work on.....:laugh:
I liek engines better but now days they require a plumber and an electrician just fo find them LOL

Nostalgia. My first car had kingpins as ball joints weren't around yet. I'm an old :4-fart:
My first car had "A" frames and a wasp waist frame, my first truck I had no idea when suspension it had cause it ran perfect when I got it all the way up till it was "T" boned on Norfolk by a drunk it was a 56 Dodge pickup, Black with baby moon hub caps 3 on the tree manual brakes, steering and a AM radio

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's an update they are in the bottoms are held in with a clip, the top ones however Screw in, I have never seen that on a newer vehicle before, I used a pair of really big pliers this time but I;m fabricating a jig to hold steel in place so I can build a tool to hold the next ball joints so I can screw them in, also I discovered on reassemble that my Right hub is bad, trust me driving it lets me know when I make a left hand turn

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy bejesus Wrench, I'd have never guess that tool even existed.....bookmarked so i can order it later
thanks man

Oh the hubs came today, so as soon as the wife's truck is done I'll be pulling the Dakota back in
doing front struts on the F150 right now

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trucks in the garage right now right side if off the ground, while I am changing the hub that abs ring and is coming off too, since I don't have abs on the front

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok abs ring removed, dust cover removed , makes a noise lie something grinding, took it back apart rotated tires, inspected right front shaft hub brake caliper greased slides and it still makes noise, its from the right side and worse when I make a left at 35 or above.

I shoulda labeled this thread Dakota problems LOL

·
27,018 Posts
Did you jack that wheel up and give it a spin to see what's 'growling'??

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, but when I spin it by hand it doesn't make any noise
nothings rubbing that I can see brake works fine half shaft has 0 play in it

·
27,018 Posts
That's not nice. Not going to act up unless there is weight on it. The more weight the more noise....like when making a LH turn.

·
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My truck has wheel Hubs, the kind that have 4 bolts holding it on the spindle and the half shaft going through it.
the new hub came Friday I installed it yesterday and the noise is still there and the same, so i asked the mechanic supervisor at Hertford today what he thought it was, he said it might be the shaft
what do yall think? should I disassemble the shaft and try that?

·
26,502 Posts
Not familiar with the Dakota, but if you can still adjust the wheel bearings with the built in hub assembly, spin the wheel and tighten the castle nut until you feel resistance and back off a ¼ turn.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,283 Posts
Not familiar with the Dakota, but if you can still adjust the wheel bearings with the built in hub assembly, spin the wheel and tighten the castle nut until you feel resistance and back off a ¼ turn.
No adjustment on those hub bearings, Corday.
wolfen, if you can pull that axle and test drive it without losing fluid from that front differential, give it a shot. Hopefully it's not anything in there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.