Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February my wife used a flash drive from work with my Dell Dimension 4100 which I had upgraded by adding 256 MB of RAM and by installing Windows XP. The flash drive crashed the computer which announced a missing or corrupt file C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.
I discovered MS Knowledge Base, specifically Article 307545, and was able I to restore the Dell to more or less the condition it was in previously.
Recently this Dell again crashed in a way that seemed to indicate the presence of malware; no flash drive was involved. I was running AVG Free and Spyblaster and was using Spybot and Adaware regularly to check for malware. As I started the computer intent on finding a specific file, I noticed that it seemed slow and that the AVG symbol was not lit up in the tray. Then it crashed and began to restart. I could not load XP either normally or in safe mode. In the course of several restart efforts I once got a blue screen very briefly indicating a corrupted registry file whose name I didn’t catch. On this basis I decided to run the batch files I used last February as set out in the KB Article 307545 How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.
Unfortunately I forgot that the first batch, regcopy1, contained commands that might cause problems as I had already run them on this computer. Here is regcopy1:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

In any event, I started recovery console, ran regcopy1 and got these undesirable results. I paraphrase:
First line- File/folder already exists
2d through 6th line- System can’t find file specified
7th through 11th line- Error during directory enumeration
12th through 16th line- File could not be copied
I was able to check the contents of the system32, tmp and repairs folders which contained expected files and nothing new. I was unable to check the system32\config folder because of “error during directory enumeration”. I am now at a loss. I had hoped to get into safe mode, run some virus checks and Hijackthis, and then send the results to you folks. Do I have options left or should I turn my attention to reformatting the HD and a fresh XP installation?
wesbton

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

Do you have the Dell recovery disk set for this computer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings ThorXP,
I have only a WMe Reinstallation CD and the XP cd I bought for the upgrade. I can't find anything in the stuff I inherited from my daughter that looks remotely like a Dell recovery disk set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion jenae. I opened RC and ran chkdsk /r but it stuck at 99% completed and would not finish. A second run had the same result. I ran chkdsk which provided volume and byte allocation info and found one or more errors but provided no specifics nor any info on recovery. A second run had the same result. I ran chkdsk /p which provided only volume and allocation info. A second run finished with the staement that volume seemed to be in good condition. Worse, during these checks RC stopped asking me for the installation of windows I wanted and gave a C:\ rather than the usual C:\WINDOWS. Therefore when I tried to change directories to windows, display the contents of a directory or retry the batch commands discussed in my first post, the result was 'access denied'. Soooo, I now appear worse off than when I started with RC less operable than it was yesterday. Any additional thoughts will be mightily appreciated. wesbton

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings again folks,
Not sure how things work on your help site. I know you are busy. Could you give this problem a quick look and let me know if there is a next step in assessing repair potential or whether I should turn my attention to wiping the hd and reinstalling XP. Thanks

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Sorry for the wait. I apologize, we are fairly busy here.

I think the last step might be to try a Windows Core file scan.

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD or an integrated SP3 CD if SP3 is installed).

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2,(or SP3) you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point:
While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Now, there might be other steps to take before a complete new installation of Windows, but as far I as can figure, I don't think so.

I would backup the files you need, and start fresh.

If you need help with the wiping out the HDD, and reinstalling Windows, please do not hesitate to ask, I will be glad to help with that :smile:

Good luck,

-Coolfreak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coolfreak, thanks for getting back to me. My XP CD has SP2 but I can't start Windows, not even in safe mode. On one of many tries I got a blue screen msg indicating a bad or missing registry file. So I can't run the scan you suggested, wish I could. The best I can do is RC and that's impaired as set out above. Can't get access to do a registry repair. I seem to be shut out. What do you think?
wesbton

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Well, if you can't even boot fully into Windows, I would suggest backing up any data you can, then doing a fresh install of Windows.

UBCD4Win is a decent bootable CD that you can burn on another computer then boot directly from the CD on your 'bad' computer.

This CD allows you to retrieve any data you might want to save, since you can't get into Windows. I'm not guaranteeing this program works though. It has for me though, in the past.

Once again, if you need any help doing a fresh install of Windows, please, do not hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

-Coolfreak

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again Coolfreak. I will download UBCD4Win, cross my fingers and see what happens. I'm sure I will seek your help in the fresh install. Have a good time off; hope it's a good vacation. I'm off also to my son's wedding at the end of the month.
wesbton

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Anytime, hopefully you can try this by the end of tonight, as I will be able to help you till tonight.

If not, PM me, so I will remember this thread when I get back.

My girlfriend and I have had this trip planned for about a year now, we are very excited about it. :smile:

I also wish the best of luck to your son's marriage.

-Coolfreak :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.