Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Compaq tower. The motherboard was recently replaced and I just noticed that it doesn't have sound. I have a RealTek AC97 sound card. I have speakers in the flat panel monitor.

When I first got it back after the mb replacement I was getting an error about a VIAAGP filter driver being needed. I installed it from the disk that came with the mb. I don't know if this could have anything to do with the audio problem.

I do have an exclamation point by the USB Receiver in Device Manager but I don't imagine that has anything to do with the sound. My USB stuff seems to work fine so I haven't worried about it.

Some other troubleshooting steps I've tried are; check volume settings, everything is turned on.

Check connections and tried a headset connected directly to computer to bypass the monitor

Device Manager – Use this Device: On
No hardware conflicts indicated
Audio Devices – Use Audio Features on this device
Digital Signer – Drivers are signed
Update Drivers – No better drivers found

Sound and Audio Devices – Device is set properly to speakers in monitor

Tried another media player and audio files. I've tried MusicMatch, Windows Media Player and RealPlayer as well as a program I have that has really annoying sounds.

If it were a bad sound card wouldn't it indicate a problem in Device Manager? I need to talk to the guy that replaced the motherboard but I want to rule out all that I can first. Any suggestions?? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had my share of "where's the sound" problems, but I'm a long ways from being an expert. My observation is that it's rarely a bad card, and that the Windows troubleshooter never helps.

AC97 is usually an onboard sound system, rather than a separate card, so you might go into Setup when you boot the computer and check to make sure Onboard Sound is enabled. Whoever installed the motherboard would have gone into Setup, and may have accidentally turned it off. Also, some people go minimalist when installing Windows, leaving out everything but a hard drive and one stick of memory, so it could have been turned off on purpose and then forgotten. If you're lucky, you can just turn it on, save to BIOS, and boot to the Windows fanfare.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.