Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old i think 1.2 GB hard drive and it has a few bad sectors on it. Now i dont want to go buy a bigger hard drive because the P100 cant handle it, and i dont want to have to flash the bios and stuff like that. So can I still use it and intall stuff on it like windows, or is there any way to get rid of those bad sectors?

S

·
0 Posts
Do a dos scandisk on it and it will mark those sectors and won't use them.

If it makes it thru all the way use it till it craps out altogether...:D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
but understand.....on bad sector usally means two bad sectors and so on and so on....itisi not a matter of if but a matter of WHEN will the drive fail....for lab porpuses it is fine....dont store stuff you cant afford to lose..after a while that good area of disk space will fail and you can lose the info....

Try you luck on ebay of some used computer store...that you can get some 2 GB drives...wont spend as much and will probley have better luck

S

·
0 Posts
it is not a matter of if but a matter of WHEN will the drive fail
This holds true for all drives though....:D

He is using it in a P100 I think he is just going to mess around with it...:winking:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im just gonna mess around with it because I have my Pentium 3 933MHz to do bigger stuff with:tongue2:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
sorry...not reading so well these days :)

yeah all drives will eventually fail but hte ones with bad sectors are falling faster then the ones with out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.