Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please somebody help,
I have had the dsl from SBC Global Yahoo DSL for about 8 months now and for the last 3-4 months my connection keeps dropping. it can take 1 minute sometimes and all the way up to about 2 hours to drop and there is no pattern to it. i don't want their people out here cause they suck so i had a friend come and he said it's either the modem or router after some tests and checking every little thing,like replacing the filters on phone lines , (ect.).
I need to know if anyone knows of any quick fixes and known problems with either of my networking devices. My modem came with the service and it's a: Efficient Networks,Speedstream 5100/ and the router is a: DYNEX DX-E401 4-port. Also does anyone know how i can test these products easily on my own to see which is bad so i don't hafeto replace both. PLease someone help i am at the end of my wits!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm using SBC yahoo at the moment with a 2wire modem. A similar thing happened to me about a month ago where the modem kept disconnecting or resetting itself every 3 to 5 minutes. This went on for 2 months and seemed to lessen a little bit during the evening. It turns out that both wireless and ethernet (wired) options were enabled in the modem's configuration. I don't use wireless, so I disabled it and all is well now.

I don't know anything about your modem's configuration, but I thought it may help if I gave you at least one option to consider. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx resolution i just tried it and i think i might have found the problem and it was in the area you were saying (modem options). i don't know how but some of the settings got changed,and it is working now but we will see how it goes,thanx again.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Do you have any 60 Hz hum on the phone line?? I know the last few intermittent DSL problems I sorted were due to hum on the phone line.

JamesO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My service is still messed up so maybe i will try your idea but how do i chack for the hum on phone line?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Pick up the phone and dial one digit and listen carefully. Do you hear 60 Hz hum or static?? Be careful, if you do not have any DSL filter on the phone you are using, you will hear some noise from the DSL modem, this is normal. If you are unsure about the DSL modem, unplug the modem and check the phone again.

Any hum, static or AM radio stations on the phone line will impact the DSL performance.

JamesO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.