Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an A64 3000+. I tried to update the BIOS using EZ Flash, but when I used the floppy disk it was unable to load the files. I reset the computer and now it powers on normally but there is no video and I get the "System failed CPU test" over the speakers. I have read that I may have to purchase a new BIOS chip, but I saw the following on the ASUS website:

ASUS CrashFree BIOS2
The CrashFree BIOS 2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process.
ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.

Could I use that or do I need to purchase the new chip from ASUS?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I unfortunetly just went through this myself. What they don't tell you when you use the EZ-Flash is that it erases the previous bios version on the chip before installing the new one. If the flash fails, you're left with a blank bios chip and a computer that doesn't know it's a computer.

I called asus about it and after telling them what happened, they actually sent me a new chip overnight for free because their utility failed. Maybe I just got lucky, though. Give it a go and see what happens. Easy to install the new chip when you get it; I pried my old one out with the extremely sophisticated tool of a large paperclip. ^^ You may get a few bad checksum errors when you first put in the new one; I did until I got everything reconfigured. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.