Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backup space

I am running Windows10
I store my back ups and other folders on an external drive which has a capacity of 465GB of which at the present moment is free space.of 93GB . The sytem will not let me do a backup now as it says that a free space capacityof 190+GB is needed. On checking 'Back up and restore' on Control panel the breakdown of the drive is shown as undernoted.
Data file back up - 47.29GB
System image 199.91GB
Other files 125.71GB
Free Space 92.82GB
TOTAL SIZE 465.73GB
I am looking to make space for a back up on the drive and

On checking the Properties of all the folders contained in the external drive
Photos takes up 40GB
Microsoft Flight sim 9 " " 3GB
" " sim X " " 9GB
All the rest of the folders
including those saying 'empty'
with properties of nil ------------ Less than 1GB
Total of Properties folders' = 50GB.
Bearing in mind that the total 'properties' GBs used on my main computer Drive 'C' is 133GB out of a total capacity of 1000GB (With much more work on it) I cannot understan) why there is so little space left on my external drive. I suspect that some of the previous backups have somehow been duplicated If that is a possibility where do I go to find these backup and how do I remove the duplicates.
Hope you can understand what I am on about Regards

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
Data files to back up - 47.29GB
System image 199.91GB
Other files 125.71GB
This equals 372.91GB of files to backup. The Current Used space on the external drive 319.91GB. with free space of only 145GB. You do not have enough free space. You need an additional 227.91GB of Space to backup the current backup. Unless you remove the System Image file, then you will have 28GB left of free space after the backup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for this. I am glad you were able to understand my problem. Bearing in mind that there is a total of 133GB on my main drive C: which I am backing up I cannot understand why it will take 372.91GB to back it up. I am not fully knowledgeable about computers but I thought that possibly I had previously backed up onto backup numerous times. There does not appear to be anyway that I can view what is contained in both the 'System image' and 'Other files' Is there a way I can do this? The biggest items I have on the computer are Flight sims 9 and X and photos and those are all that I am really interested in saving. Look forward to hearing from you again. Thank you - (Just had a thought - I have recently downloaded the free version of CCleaner- which at the moment only seems to concentrate on drive C: If I can somehow isolate it so that CCleaner can work on the external drive E: Do you think that it would sort out and allow me to delete the files that have been duplicated ??

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
A System Image file, is a mirror image of your C: drive, which is almost 200GB. You probably already have one System Image file on your old backup. You can set your backup to overwrite the old backup with the new and that would work. Or, you don't need a second version of the System Image, you can eliminate that from the backup.
If you find Windows Backup not to your liking, or too hard to work with, you can try Easeus Todo Backup Free version. Wipe your external drive and start fresh with a brand new backup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds a very good idea to me. I do find the Windows 10 back up hard to work with so I think I will start all over again. i will let you know how I get on. Thanks very much for your assistance

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,698 Posts
The nice thing about most other third party programs is they allow for compression so the backup file on max compression on say Macrium Reflect
free version, could be around 100 Gb and that would fit the current situation...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.