Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I backup my computers - I used to have Backup/Restore on my old computers - On my HP in at work I can go to Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup, but this option doesn't exist on my Inspiron or Targa computers. If I go to the HELP option, all I am offered is the ability to back up my licences, not much good if I can't restore prorams and files. I've copied all my files to CD, but that's not at all the same thing.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have XP Pro, just go to Start > Run > and type NTBACKUP. If you have XP Home, then that version of Windows does not include the Backup program and you have to install it from the XP CD.

There are also countless third-party backup programs that you can try.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are you asking to backup programs/files or making a point to restore to?

If u need the first option partition the hard drive and save em there, or to a slave. Norton ghost is also good...

Restoring is auto on XP
-blitze

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
Assuming you have XP Pro...

The simplest and perhaps best way to back up your machine is the Automated System Recovery wizzard.
You get there like so:
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup
If a window pops up that has text where "Advanced" is a underlined link and there's a check-box at tghe bottom of the window, un-check that box and then clikc on "Advanced"
Click the Button beside "Automated System Recovery Wizzard"
Browse to the media you want to back-up to. This can be any storage device large enough to hold your backup. Windows is stupid by default in that it assumes that you want to back up to floppy. Well, trust me you DO NOT want to back-up to floppy, ok? Back-up to a DVD-RAM, to a UDF packet writer, to a USB drive, to a Fixed Disk partition other than C:\ or to a network drive, but not to a floppy. Floppies are not reliable enough for you to tust you backups to them; besides, they are just too small to be practical.
Whatever you decide to backup to, I suggest that you make a folder there named ASR and puting your backup in that folder. If you plan on making regular backups of your system, then a sub-folder named for the date that the back-up is being made can make managing your backups a bit less of a hassle.
The ASR wizzard will take care of the rest.
You can thank me latter. :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.