Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and happy new year,
I was wondering that if I had to re-install windows xp from scatch to my pc, how do I back up some of the info that I would like to reinstall after the reformatting? Thanks for any info in this matter.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Hi everyone and happy new year,
I was wondering that if I had to re-install windows xp from scatch to my pc, how do I back up some of the info that I would like to reinstall after the reformatting? Thanks for any info in this matter.

What is it you want to backup? Is it just data files or data and program files?

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
I would like to backup "my documents" and "my pictures".
Thanks.
I find it useful to have all my data sub-folders, including Outlook Express folders, in "My Documents" then all I have to do is copy "My Documents" to my backup storage device using Windows Explorer. I backup to my second hard drive AND a DVD-RW on a regular basis - at least once a week. How often you do it depends on how much data you are prepared to lose if anything goes wrong. On a monthly basis I create a clone of my drive onto a USB Seagate 320GB hard drive using XXClone. These drives are now very cheap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem is that I have never done a backup b4, so how do I start doing the backup once I know what to backup and where I'm saving it to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the software to make or copy data dvds, but can u point me in the right direction on how to start the backup process. I never done it before.
Thanks for your help.:pray: :4-dontkno

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Right, the first thing you need to do is check the size of the files that you need to copy. A useful utility for this is Treesize, available free from http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml . If the total size of your files is less than 4.7GB then fine, otherwise you'll have to split My Documents into <4.7GB chunks. Next, open Windows Explorer. Go to Start/Accessories/Windows Explorer. Navigate to My Computer and open it up. Click on Drive C (or whatever your boot disc is) and in the right hand pane, select My Documents (or a subset if it is bigger than 4.7GB) and drag it to the DVD in the left hand pane. Then sit back or go and make a coffee and wait for it to copy the files across. That's all there is to it. If you need to split My Documents into chunks, then you will need as many DVDs as there are chunks. Don't forget to label them. Any further questions, don't be afraid to ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.