Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few months using a cable modem I lost my job and with it went my high speed connection, now i'm back on 56k. Just wondering if there's a way to speed up page downloads.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There are a number of programs that claim to cache graphics and the like to speed up access, I have no idea how well they work. You can also run a DNS cache, which avoids the overhead of name resolution every time you go back to the same site.

Since you have broadband available, why not just shell out for it, I don't know if I could live without it now! :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If it could be done, why would we pay $50/mo for broadband? ;)

One thing you could do is to set your browser to not automatically download images, run javascript, etc. This would speed your download times.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pseudocyber said:
If it could be done, why would we pay $50/mo for broadband? ;)

One thing you could do is to set your browser to not automatically download images, run javascript, etc. This would speed your download times.
Keep in mind that in doing this, you'll lose some functionality, but will gain speed. Many sites use Java and images, and in some cases that info is critical for the site to work (but I guess you can tell it to load it in that case).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I guess Pseudocyber said it the best man.............I we could get dial up to run faster downloads what would be the sense in shelling out $50 a month for broadband?

Sorry to hear about you losing your job. That sucks but in time you will be able to have broadband again..........so just ride it out for now and it will get better im sure.

Good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can set IE to keep cached copies of the sites you visit in your history for a longer time before purging (if you do this be sure and up the amount of space allocated to this as well!!) and set IE to only snag a new copy of the files if they have been updated (all this is done in Internet Tools)....not the best fix, especially if the sites you visit regularly update often...but hey its dialup, not much ya can do...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Personally, I kinda expect a delay when browsing between sites. Because of this, DSL feels kinda funny. I guess once you get used to it, it's hard going back.X(

·
Registered
16 Posts
fastnet99

i'm on dial up a program called fastnet99 works very well for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.