1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Logsplitter issue...

B&S Intek I/C 8 HP engine, M: 202432 T: 0036E1 C: 060614YE

The design of the pull-starter is driving me insane. Lots of plastic pieces involved (which naturally wear and need to be replaced). The starter cover (screen) is RIVETED to the engine shroud, which itself is a huge pain to remove.

Would it be OK to drill out those rivets and replace them with screws? That would certainly make this a million times easier to service.

Does anyone know the correct length for the pull rope? I don't own this unit, and the owner doesn't have a service manual. The owners manual is useless, and the parts illustration is close to useless (says to cut the rope to length, doesn't give the actual length). The owner broke the rope, and threw away the short piece...

The main issue was the starter completely locked up. Took it apart, there were missing and broken plastic pawl parts (plate and ratchet parts). Bought new ones from the local dealer, installed, and it still doesn't work right (not smooth).

This thing has not had an easy life...

Mike

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Hi Mike

Yes, you could drill out the rivets, BUT I would not recommend using screws....they will almost certainly vibrate out. You would want bolts with nuts on the other side (which can be a pain for assembly/disassembly unless you remove the engine shroud to hold the nuts from spinning).

I would normally wind the rope on it right off a spool, letting it accept as much as possible without binding, then clip it. Probably 4-5', depending on the size.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense.

Did some poking around, found a video on youtube of someone repairing a pull start on a snowblower. The engine in the video was a different model, but the starter mechanism had an identical design.

The weird thing was, the guy pointed out that a prior mechanic had drilled out the rivets and replaced them with new rivets, but that was "not the correct procedure."

My question is, why not? Having gone through this once on this machine, and watching that video, the existing design is insane. To remove the engine shroud, you have to loosen/partially remove the carb! To me, that's asking for trouble (breaking the seal, potentially tearing that gasket).

What am I missing? Seems like the obvious answer is drill out those rivets, fix the starter, and replace the rivets (even re-riveting instead of using screws would be WAY easier than dealing with that engine shroud).

Mike

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Replacement starters for those engines are supplied with bolts and nuts. However, to perform service on the starter you will still need to remove the engine shroud. It is difficult, but the carburetor does not have to be removed, only the air filter back plate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"However, to perform service on the starter you will still need to remove the engine shroud."

Why?

It appears that removing the rivets will take the starter assembly off the engine. The spring and rope can be serviced, and the starter assembly would just need to be riveted back into place.

I could see taking off the shroud if you intend to use nuts/bolts, but not if you will be riveting the starter into place.

Am I missing something?

Mike

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
"However, to perform service on the starter you will still need to remove the engine shroud."

Why?

It appears that removing the rivets will take the starter assembly off the engine. The spring and rope can be serviced, and the starter assembly would just need to be riveted back into place.

I could see taking off the shroud if you intend to use nuts/bolts, but not if you will be riveting the starter into place.

Am I missing something?

Mike
I meant if using bolts & nuts. If you pop rivet back on (which I have done), there's no need to remove the shroud. Pop rivets don't seem to last long though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.