Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know a way to stop these annoying popups forever please? An alternative is to completely uninstall Avira and select another antivirus. I`m open to suggestions. :smile:

Attachments

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,558 Posts
They of course want you to upgrade to their paid solution.

I'd recommend swapping over to Windows Defender which is already installed on Windows 8 machines.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I remember posting about the Avira popups a few years ago in our Security forum. There's a registry edit you can use to disable the upgrade reminders. It's safe to use and doesn't affect the running of the program, it just blocks the reminder from contacting the Avira servers. It was also mentioned on their own forums at the time, so it's legit. I'll post back if I can find it and if it still works on this latest version.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
one thing to consider, in the past, disabling their popups would also disable alerts.

one way to stop is is to
1. disable real time scanning
2. click extras in avira menu bar and go to config
3. click general and expand to options, click alerts and uncheck everything.

steps may be different depending on the version.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember posting about the Avira popups a few years ago in our Security forum. There's a registry edit you can use to disable the upgrade reminders. It's safe to use and doesn't affect the running of the program, it just blocks the reminder from contacting the Avira servers. It was also mentioned on their own forums at the time, so it's legit. I'll post back if I can find it and if it still works on this latest version.
Would like to see that if you can find it.:smile:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes, use the Avira Removal Tool. After restarting go to Search and type Windows Defende.
If you don't like it, you can always reinstall Avira.
I found a way to stop the Avira popups by writing to Avira customer service in Germany. My attachment shows the procedure and now i experience no annoying popups. originally i uninstalled Avira and went back to Windows Defender but i understand Windows Defender is not anti virus so i have now reinstalled Avira free.:dance::wink:

You can try the following steps that might help with your request:

1. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy

2. Select "Software Restriction Policies" and right-click the "Additional Rules" folder > New Path Rule.

3. Click on the Browse button and navigate to C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ (C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ on 64-bit systems) and double-click avnotify.exe

4. Make sure that the rule is set to "Disallowed" and then click "OK".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42,047 Posts
Windows Defender way back in Windows 7, was not an Anti-Virus Software, you also needed to install Microsoft Security Essentials to have an Anti-Virus program.
But since Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, they have discontinued MSE and now call it Windows Defender, (are you still with me?) which is included in these later versions of Windows, Free, and you do not need another AV software to be installed.Unless that is what you want. Your choice.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Windows Defender way back in Windows 7, was not an Anti-Virus Software, you also needed to install Microsoft Security Essentials to have an Anti-Virus program.
But since Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, they have discontinued MSE and now call it Windows Defender, (are you still with me?) which is included in these later versions of Windows, Free, and you do not need another AV software to be installed.Unless that is what you want. Your choice.
Of course, still with you? I`m still with Avira too.:wink:

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
I found a way to stop the Avira popups by writing to Avira customer service in Germany. My attachment shows the procedure and now i experience no annoying popups. originally i uninstalled Avira and went back to Windows Defender but i understand Windows Defender is not anti virus so i have now reinstalled Avira free.:dance::wink:
no popups at least until the next version update :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.