Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am restoring a lab top its a dell xp sp3 pentium 3 its like 850 mhz and has a 20 gig hard drive. Now it had a load of problems the main what this thing called security scan that was a fake virus program that did not let you open programs you download and basic windows functions were gone. i finally figured out how to access the task manger and i was able to end the process and remove it with malwarebytes. Now i restarted and it started ok, then in the process of fixing this computer i unistalled norton because it is a memory hog and really isnt all that great from the past experiences that i have had. I tried avg but it would not install there was a error and no help online that was use full so i tried avast i heard good things bout it a couple of friends of mine use it and they think its great so i looked it up then downloaded it after the install the computer restarted and did the boot scan thing and then took like a year to access the main desktop icons and load everything up it took like really 2-4 minutes. i have scanned with avast and malwarebytes

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry i forgot to ask the question the computer is still running real slow and i cant get him to let me re format it i told him to let me build him a desktop but he said he does not want to waste money. Im pretty sure its the memory that is slowing it down it only has 256 but he will not upgrade once i installed avast it got even slower, the boot takes like 4 minutes. is it avast that makes it that slow is there any other antivirus other than avg and avast that is good free and does not take up space or is this problem caused by another issue. I checked for issues with hihackthis and ran superantispyware and Malwarebytes and avast during the boot thing. After i ran hihackthis and the errors were gone but the computer is still so slow even with just avast and one other it is still slow.

I do understand that this thing is as old as moses but common it cant be this slow i used to have a 333 mhz way back in the day that ran faster! How do i speed this thing up for him with out him spending money. the drive is 20 gigs and is 70% free

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
42,836 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.