Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. I had a sudden BSOD earlier and upon restarting my PC it came up with Startup Repair, only to have it fail to repair the issue. I have been following this thread which seems to have stemmed from the same issue. I too am running Avast, so I suspect that may be the problem.

I have been following the steps in that thread and have reached the point of removing Avast keys in Regedit. I previously ran checks and also attempted to repair from the Win7 OS CD as was suggested in that thread.

I think that following the steps to remove Avast files may be the solution to my issue - however, as I am aware that Regedit can be dangerous to mess around with I wanted to check in and make sure I am following the steps correctly.

System info: Self-built PC, running Windows 7 on a Crucial M4 SSD, with two WD Caviar Black HDDs as storage drives.
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (not OCd)
GPU: EVGA nVidia 970 FTW
RAM: 4x4GB

It appears to have re-mapped my drives, my SSD is C: normally while my HDDs are E: and F:, but the system is currently reading C: as the Windows reserved partition of the SSD, the rest of that drive as F:, and the HDDs as D: and E: instead. This is in line with the user (Lethorio) in the earlier thread, however.

So, where I'm at now. I am around posts #65-70 in that same thread and have found avast keys. Here are the keys in the first folder which appeared in the search results:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Capabilities REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
Class REG_SZ LegacyDriver
ClassGUID REG_SZ {8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}
ConfigFlags REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
DeviceDesc REG_SZ avast! HardwareID
Legacy REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
Service REG_SZ aswHwid

In this folder, should I be deleting just the DeviceDesc and Service entries, or all the keys? Should I simply delete the folder (labelled 0000 in LEGACY_ASWHWID)? Do I need to back it up somewhere first, and if so how would I go about doing that? I'm not sure where to find my HDDs (for backup purposes), as my use of regedit to date has been limited and always following instructions.

Apologies for the wall of text, I simply didn't want to go crashing through without first checking that I was proceeding in the correct fashion. Any other questions, let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use the Avast uninstall tool. It's not necessary to make a Registry change.
https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Thanks for the response, but I have been unable to launch Windows so I don't think I would be able to run this. I have attempted to boot in Safe Mode (by holding F8) but haven't had any luck, I can choose the boot device but then can't bring up the "launch in safe mode" prompt before the Startup Repair Tool appears.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,310 Posts
Did you try Last Known Good Configuration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you try Last Known Good Configuration.
How do I access this? Does it appear in the same launch menu as Safe Mode, because that is the one I can't access. Or is there another way to boot using Last Known Good Configuration?

I'm going to try your first suggestion, I realised I could boot using a Linux USB so perhaps I will be able to do that and uninstall Avast from there.

I'm going to try your first suggestion, I realised I could boot using a Linux USB so perhaps I will be able to do that and uninstall Avast from there.
No joy here, I was able to download it but Avastclear doesn't run on Linux and when I tried to run the downloaded file through the command prompt I get a message saying, "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present."

·
27,310 Posts
If you can access Advanced Boot Options screen then you can choose Last Known Good Configuration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've managed to pull up the Advanced Boot Options but no joy there, I tried both Last Known Good Configuration and Safe Mode and both end up at the Startup Repair screen again.

When I boot from the OS CD and run Repair, I can do a Startup Repair scan and it says "Startup Repair could not detect a problem", then in diagnostic and repair details it says "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully."

So it sounds like the problem should be sorted but it's still booting into Startup Repair each time I try to boot it normally from my SSD.

·
Registered
41,112 Posts
Boot from the Windows Disc and press Shift+f10 to go directly to the Command Prompt in the RE (Recovery Environment).
At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive.
Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS, for this example, assume C: or whatever drive letter is the os device.
At the x sources type: chkdsk c: /r press enter, 5 stages of check disk will run. It will test the HDD for errors. it may take a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Output from the Check Disk:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
361984 file records processed
File verification completed
3521 large file records processed
0 bad file records processed
0 EA records processed
169 reparse records processed
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
480460 index entries processed
Index verification cmpleted
0 unindexed files scanned
0 unindexed files recovered
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
361984 file SDs/SIDs processed
Security descriptor verification completed
59239 data files processed
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37494472 USN bytes processed
Usn Journal verification completed
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
361968 files processed
File data verification completed
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
640114 free clusters processed
Free space verification is complete
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems

124930047 KB total disk space
121721924 KB in 279646 files
176772 KB in 59240 indexes
0 KB in bad sectors
470895 KB in use by the system
65536 KB occupied by the log file
2560456 KB available on disk

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
31232511 total allocation units on disk
640114 allocation units available on disk
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

I need to get to sleep, but if you throw any more suggestions as to what to try next I'll give them a shot in the morning. Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi again,

I'm back at it and still no joy. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Is it perhaps worth me trying a clean re-install of Windows from the OS CD? If so, will I need to back up my SSD before doing so to make sure any files are safe?

Thanks

Some additional information:

I have tried rebuilding the BCD using the following process.
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

The first two complete fine, but the last returns the message "Total identified Windows installations: 0." I have attempted using bcdedit, with the sequence I saw recommended in multiple locations.
bcdedit /export f:\bcdbackup
(F: being read as the main partition of my SSD with Windows on)
f:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren f:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec \rebuildbcd

However, this fails as there is no "F:\Boot" folder. There IS, however, a "F:\Windows\Boot" folder, so is it possible that this folder is simply in the wrong location and perhaps moving it would solve the issue?

·
27,310 Posts
"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50" = Usually means your partition is corrupt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, what's the best solution then? I am backing up files to an external device now, should I just try a re-install of the OS and see if that fixes the problem? That should only affect the boot drive, correct? Not the other storage HDDs I'm using.

·
27,310 Posts
It won't affect external HDs but after reformatting with only "0" partition, I would try to check the HD on another unit before going through the process and finding you're wasting your time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It won't affect external HDs but after reformatting with only "0" partition, I would try to check the HD on another unit before going through the process and finding you're wasting your time.
Sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow. Are you suggesting testing the boot HD on another PC to see if it works there, or something else? Is it possible reformatting won't solve the corruption issue (assuming that is the problem)?

·
27,310 Posts
I'm suggesting as an external, to test the HDD on another computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.