Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not sure where to post this as it's not really a network issue due to the computers not being domained.

At the moment I am applying local group policy settings for each computer (many computers) manually on each machine (Taking about 20 minutes per machine due to the MANY settings that need checking).

Is there any way I can cut this time down by saving a set of policy options from one computer and applying that set to multiple other computers (via a usb stick etc?)

Thanks in advance,

Jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the link, but I had already looked over everything on there and couldn't find anything about deploying the same group policies to lots of non-networked computers.

I'll carry on looking though,

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, that was just what I was typing this post about xD

I have found a solution, to use MMC to create the gpo's on a machine then copy the contents of the system32/grouppolicy folder to the new machine....]

This has lead me to the next problem.. part of the GP settings I use is disabling all access to the windows explorer file structure and c://, aswell as any usb storage devices and cannot get to the folder to copy it's contents.

Is there any cmd command I can use to copy the contents to my usb, bypassing the gpo? Even a bootable program I can stick on disk to allow me access to the file structure?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link,

It will take me some time to read through it carefully and get back to you, as this is fairly new to me and most of it is going over my head at the moment

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hmm, is there a reason why some policies update straight away, and some take a restart?

for example, disabling "Windows + X" hotkeys" requires a restart, but blocking access to C:// works straight away.

Do you know of any way I can change the time it takes for the GP settings to update. If I can delay it to even a few minutes, ill be able to get the group policy folder transferred across before it stops me?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Manage to get a copy of the folder finally, copied to a new Pc I was prepping, and it worked!.

Thats half the process now optimised. Just need to work out how to automate / save&deploy control panel settings and ill be done. Don't suppose you have any ideas on that ?

If not, don't worry, you have already helped me greatly! thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, have been messing arround with various methods and have got one working as well as I need it for now.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.