Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hard drive is NTFS, therefore when I run chkdsk /f, chkdsk /r, or chkdsk /x I must reboot inorder for chckdsk to work. Well, I ran chksdk and received the message Autocheck program not found -- Skipping Autocheck and the chkdsk is not performed. How can I repair this problem.

Jill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dai,

I tried using sfc /scannow first, and tried again. I still get the same message and chkdsk does not work. Any more ideas of what I can try?

Jill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I am not. Also, I ran CHKNTSF C: The message came back saying it was dirty -- then said I should chkdsk c: I did that too but it said it couldn't go any further because of read-only files.

What is p/magic boot manager?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
try the
chkdsk /r
again or in my computer right click on the drive and go into properties and error check the drive
checkdsk without the switch after it will only check the drive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...I did all of the above and I am told that Windows cannot complete the check disk. So, I went to the command prompt in safe mode and tried chkdsk. I get, "Deleting corrupt attribution record <128,BAK> from file segment 72728. Errors Found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you tell me how I boot into recovery console, I've tried everything I thought I knew but I am not getting to a prompt to right chkdsk /r.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you boot from the xp cd and choose install
when it says press R for repair
press R and it will take you into the recovery console

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.