Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've got an hp laptop that I use to watch downloaded itunes movies, streaming tv episodes, etc. The problem I have is that the audio and video are normally a couple of seconds off, one way or another. All the device drivers are up to date I believe-I clicked on update on the sound and video drivers. Can someone please give me a hand as it's quite annoying? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like a download problem, usually when i stream online movies there is a second or two between video and audio. I don't use iTunes, but is there anyway you can stream it? or re-download it to another location? How is your computer connected to the internet?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stream a lot on cbs.com and it's bad also. I don't know of anywhere else I can get the show I watch on itunes. I'm currently using wifi. Also, do you think it matters that I have an external monitor hooked up via hdmi?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you're referring to the download/upload test. I test out at download of 2.57Mbps, upload of .42Mbps and a latency of 153ms. I also meet all of the system requirements: I've got a 2.1G processor, 4G RAM and everything else up to date. The only difference that I can find is I've got firefox 4. I don't think that's it because of the messing up of downloaded videos. Thanks again.:4-dontkno

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
2.57Mbps is a bit slow for good video streaming even on someplace like YouTube. Try pausing it to give it time to download and then play. See if that's better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering if that was the problem. A good example is right now, I'm watching cbs.com and it's keeping up-barely. That explains the live streaming but any ideas about the itunes shows that I download and then watch? Thanks again.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Honestly, no idea. I've never seen that happen. Usually the slow speeds will cause choppiness, not sound/video sync problems. I would try updating your audio and video drivers as a first try. It could also be something to do with codexes (sp?), but I'm not really up on them. Try the drivers.

·
Moderator, Design Team
12,727 Posts
How does your audio go to your speakers? or do you have a sound system/home theatre system in this set up?
If the audio is just by regular cabling and the picture by HDMI this can be enough to cause a sync problem - I have my TV audio through a digital receiver and used regular RCA cabling, the DVD player is connected to the TV by HDMI - when I played DVD's the audio was out of sync, I upgraded the audio to co-axial and still slightly out of sync, went to optical for the audio and all is well - the speed of transfer was the problem and may be yours.
Codec issues can also cause sync problems but there is not much you can do your end if the compression has been faulty at the source - I doubt this would be an issue through iTunes though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daifne, thanks but I tried the drivers first thing. I told it to search online for updated drivers for monitors and audio/videos settings and they were all up to date.

zuluclayman, here's my setup. I use my laptop for my audio and then an external monitor as my #1 monitor (laptop monitor works but it's smaller so it's my #2) with it being hooked up via hdmi. I tried watching the itunes on my laptop only but still did it. Thanks again for everyones time.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I'm stumped. I did a search for a similar problem, but everything I found was program specific rather than what you're experiencing. How old is your laptop? Is it still under warranty? Did it ever work correctly?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Laptop is under 3 years old and it did work before I upgraded to Win 7; though I'm not certain it didn't work correctly directly,following the upgrade in late December. I'll check with the safe mode and get back to you. Thanks for all the effort; much appreciated.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,381 Posts
Try turning down hardware acceleration on your graphics card. Your download speeds are fine. Right click on your desktop, select screen resolution, Advanced settings, Troubleshoot, then Change settings. Adjust hardware acceleration down a tick at a time.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
5,760 Posts
If you upgraded a 3 year old Laptop to win7 then there's a good chance that the video is running the Standard Vga Adapter driver. Check in the device manager to see if that's the case. In device manager you expand Display Adapters. I've seen this a few times causing the issue your having.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fred, I just tried that and the change settings was greyed out. Any suggestions? thanks again. Also, I have 2 monitors, external one is main via hdmi but it does it this on both.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,381 Posts
Disconnect your external monitor. Check a few videos using just your laptop screen and see if the problem continues. Then try and throttle down hardware acceleration again. See if it's greyed out.

If you can turn H.A. down, reconnect the external monitor and check some videos again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.