Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will try my best to explain my problem, be gentle for I have absolutely no idea about computer stuff. I am lucky I know how to turn it off and on :no: Here goes... I installed a new modem, all went well to my surprise except now I have no audio. I am not sure what info you will need to help me with this problem so I shall wait for further help..Thank you in advance

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF Kymberlynn...............:D

Sounds like you may have an IRQ conflict. If you take the modem out and the sounds comes back try putting the modem into another PCI slot and see if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again...Thank you for your reply and the welcoming...I do have a question (Told you I am very computer dumb) Anyway, when you tell me to take the modem out and insert into a new PCI slot, do you mean uninstall it or take it out from the tower? If you mean the tower, is there a certain slot I do need to insert it into other than the one it is in or do I just pick a random slot...ACK...I am soooo confused.

S

·
0 Posts
Exactly..................:D

Physically remove the modem from the slot that it's in and put it in another slot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
just to make sure...do you have seperate modem and audio PCI cards or is it a single card? or...is the sound an onboard chip and you don't have a card at all?

You might have to remove the modem and move it (common conflict with modems and soundcards) but I would check DEVICE Manager first and see if there is a ! or ? next to your audio device. If there is, delete the driver and reboot. Let Found New Hardware Wizard install it.

To find out if there is an IRQ conflict go to START/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information

Check to see if your modem and soundcard are sharing the same IRQ.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:confused: Hi again...Well, I feel like I am getting closer anyway...I looked to see if my soundcard and modem are sharing the same IRQ...That was a joke to me for I had no idea if they were even after I looked :upset: I haven't been brave enough to get so drastic as trying to reinsert the card into a different slot, not sure if I can just reinsert it into a random slot, if there are any??? Awww, you guys are great anyway, I just wish I understood better. By the way, there is a ? next to my audio ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, when I delete the driver and reinstall it, the wizard only gets so far before it tells me it can't be found...er...Or something to that effect....:angry2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ARGHHHHHH! This is getting VERY frustrating...I moved the modem into another slot..(I do have a seperate modem and sound card) I fired the puter back up and watched the wizard detect the modem....STILL NOTHING for audio :dead:

S

·
0 Posts
By the way, there is a ? next to my audio
Is this ? in the device manager? If so you don't have a driver installed for your sound card.

See if there is a name or model number on the sound card!

Or take a look at the biggest black chip on the soundcard and post what's written on it here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ? is in the device manager....I opened it back up and the biggest black chip on the soundcard was:
Yamaha Japan XG
YNF744B-V 00032 KAKF

S

·
0 Posts
Download This file. Create a folder called sound and extract the file that you downloaded to this new folder.

The run the DsLaunch.exe file.

With some luck this should be the right driver................:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:clap: YAYYYYYYY!!!!! You did it and I could never thank you enough! It worked, my puter has a voice again! :singer: A million times I thank you! :cheers: :thmbup:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
and here we see speedo doing what he does best.

good job man :)

although, i am wondering how it had sound before...

i mean did it just lose its driver all of a sudden?

either way, its good to see it fixed.

~BoB~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:confused: OH NO Bob, don't confuse me all over again! hehehe I have no idea why it just died :dontknow: . Anyway that is why I left it up to the experts. I am now on my way to help support this website...Keep up the GREAT work and THANK YOU again!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.