Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is a Windows issue or not. I have searched for a solution to this but can't even find anyone else with the same issue. I have a Windows 10 laptop (HP) with decent specs (i7 with 16GB ram). During any video conferencing call (MS Teams, Zoom, Google Meets) my audio sometimes drops out gradually. When it starts happening, it is not sudden. The sound just starts getting softer and less clear. It is as if the audio is struggling to get through, or the audio resources are not sufficient. The volume gradually goes down (not the slider level, just the actual sound), sometimes it comes back again by itself and returns to normal, only to disappear again, and eventually the audio of the call dies completely. Other system sounds still work fine, and the volume slider is still up. The video and microphone are unaffected. People on the call can still hear me, but I can't hear them anymore. For while they might be very soft, and then their audio disappears altogether and I only hear a syllable here and there. Almost like a poor cellphone signal.

It almost feels like a poor connection issue, but the internet connection is fine, and the video quality is not affected. Microphone also not affected. Others can hear me fine. Only the audio drops gradually and then disappears completely. The only way to fix it is to exit the meeting and rejoin. Once I rejoin, the sound is back, at least for a while. It usually drops again after a while.

What I have tried so far:
Disabled my antivirus.
Changed audio settings to allow and disallow programs to take exclusive control of the audio playback device.
Checked that my audio settings during communications are set to Do nothing (not reduce other sounds by a certain percentage). I have not tried other options in these settings, since their purpose is to reduce the volume of system sounds while on a call.
Closed all other programs so no other apps or programs can interfere or draw on system resources.

What is strange is that it happens with all video conferencing calls, regardless of the program. Google Meeting is browser based, while Teams and Zoom have their own app, and it happens to all three. Sometimes I can sit through an hour long meeting without problems, other times my sound drops out within the few minutes of the call, or halfway during the call, at random.

I'm baffled. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or what else I can try to fix this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
331 Posts
I'm assuming you are using a headset? Try the headset on another computer. If you are not, it could be some noise or echo canceling function happening and you might try a headset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it does the same whether or not I use a headset. Today I experienced the issue without headset, in Google Meet as well as Zoom.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
331 Posts
Go to the manufacturer of your computer and check if they have an audio driver update.

·
Registered
40,970 Posts
What is the model# for your HP Laptop?
As stated, go to HP Drivers site. type in your serial # which you will find on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop or under the battery. Download the Audio driver for your model #. and see how that goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to come back and say thanks for the replies. I did manage to update my audio drivers and the issue has not recurred (yet) but I've only had one video conference this week, so it's maybe a bit early to say that the issue is solved. But so far it appears to be solved, for now. If it comes back, I will be back to report, haha!
Thanks again, peace to all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts