Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there , could someone tell me how to sort out the problem with my audio device, I get the message This device can not start code 10, I have tried everything, I have downloaded Everest and it says:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Odem i855PM
Field Value
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]
BUT WHEN I TRY TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER, I GET INTELS WEB PAGE SAYING PAGE CAN NOT BE FOUND, can someone tell me how i download my required driver.Thanks

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

This could be more than one problem with this one. It implies that that it is an allocation error, but it can also be other errors, because some have taken care of the allocation error and didn't get rid of the problem.

First of all:

Double click your sound device in Device Manager, go to the Resources tab, and see if there are any conflicts listed at the bottom. If they are what are they?

I also recall that a while back someone had the same problem with a C-Media device and rolling back to an older driver version worked for them. Do you know what version you have?

If all else fails at this point, I would certainly look at removing all the sound card drivers in the device manager, then booting up and then taking the motherboard disk and re-installing the sound card items.

Post back with questions/concerns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Thanks for your speedy response, I ahve just checked the resources tab and it only says "this device isnt using any resources because it has a problem" ive tried rolling back the driver but that says no driver files have been backed up for this device. Iam tottally lost as to how i mess with the motherboard, any ideas!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
has it got anything to do with the fact i am trying to use realtek ac'97 on my laptops intel motherboard the version of this realtek is 5.10 cheers ,and please please HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP.LOL this has been bugging me for days.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
has it got anything to do with the fact i am trying to use realtek ac'97 on my laptops intel motherboard the version of this realtek is 5.10 cheers ,and please please HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP.LOL this has been bugging me for days.
Hi,

You threw me on the reply. Isn't this motherboard (I didn't know it was a laptop) supposed to be using AC'97????? I mean, why did you say that, is there something I don't know here? Did you load your motherboard disk in to the computer like the sound card drivers??? If not, then that would be why it does not see it. Those drivers for that card should be right on that motherboard disk, and you should not have to download them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for confusing you, I am rubbish at explaining technical stuff, Basically i reinstalled a fresh copy of windows xp home on my sony vaio, when i did this there was no sound , so i downloaded realtek ac'97 audio device to see if that would solve it but all i get with that is code 10 device can not start, ive tried all the ways to get it to work , it used to work on here befrore i reinstalled windows though. i hope this helps explain a bit better.thanks

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
HI,

One more, do you have the motherboard disk that came with your computer? If so, then put the sound area in there with that, and if not, then we can go look for those motherboard drivers. What you may be dealing with, is that some updated drivers (just sometimes) like you downloaded may not co-exist with your board. If you don't have the motherboard disk (if not, how did you load the chipset drivers in), then let me know and we will search for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well ive only had the laptop a couple of months and i assume it has the original motherboard, i thought that maybe the realtek audio device may not be compatible but it worked fine before reinstallation of windows, ive done an intel chipset utillity test and all are functioning perfect motherboard included, i have never touched the sound card, in really am not very technical when it comes to laptops, i only know a little about computers at all really, i can locate any info you may need to fix this problem if you can.thanks again

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Try these things in order as they are listed;

First of all, go into your computer and select a restore point where your sound drivers were working. Then, take it for a test drive. That might be the easiest if system restore was on when you had the sound card working.

Second: Try here for drivers if needed
Audio Driver 5.12.01.5410
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...ocid=MIGR-61604

Third: try sfc /scannow from start - run
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Friend , Ive tried each step
step1- no restore point available
step 2-NO DRIVER WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL IBM SOUNDMAX
step 3-no disk
any other ideas friend

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I don't remember if we updated the chipset drivers. If not, then go here and download install them:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...4&submit=Go!

it's No:4 the INF Intel Software Installation Utility. Always check to make sure the rig you have uses these, because so easy to give you an incorrect link.

We did make sure the s0und was enabled in the Bios, didn't we?

Addendum: Always make sure you have a backup or restore point before you ever install any kind of drivers!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I just found that out. A friend gave it to me and said it was an active link. Darn, I will keep looking. Sorry, I should have tried it before sending. My bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Mr Tumble, I managed to find that download for the intel software installation utility, but when i install and reboot nothing happens, it installs ok and asks to restart computer but then when it reboots nothing happens, do i need to do something else.cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry what i mean is when the intel software installation utilty installs then reboots, it reboots like normal as if i had not installed anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HI, Don't know if it has any relevance but the realtek i just tried to reinstall has a yellow ! in the device manager.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.