Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that after a while (i.e. a couple years) the audio on my burned CD's starts to deteriorate little by little until the player or ROM drive can't read it anymore. This has happened on every audio CD I've burned so far (9 or 10)! I've used only "name" brands (Sony & Memorex) and I store & handle my discs properly. I've used both NTI & Easy CD for burning and the discs are great for a couple years. The audio then will start to sound scratchy and gets worse over time until finally the disc won't play at all. I'm concerned now that data & files I've backed up on CD's are in danger too of the same kind of deterioration.
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Sounds like the drive your burning them with may have a problem with its writing laser, sometimes the intensity of the drives laser is off for various reasons and that will lead to longterm effects that your describing.

Try Cleaning it, making sure its receiving adequate power and if that doesn't fix it, you will need to buy a new drive, or continue with the deteriorations.

This could also be the case if the CDR's are stored in an overly hot location or exposed to a particularly high magnetic field over a period of time. While CD wont be erased like normal magnetic media when exposed to a magnet, the magnetic fields will still effect them if they are exposed over a period of time, contrary to popular belief.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.