Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased yesterday an ATI manufactured x800 XL AGP 256MB card. I installed it fine, but when it comes to playing games, the performance is woeful.

Here are my specs as best I can remember them:

Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz
1GB DDR RAM
120GB HD
350w power supply
1280 x 1024 screen res

When I play Half-Life 2 the lag is very noticable. In fact, I would say HL2 looked and ran better on my old 9600 XL than it does with my new card. I have tried playing the game on the suggested settings, but it looks terrible. The screen lags whenever I enter a new area.

Here's one thing I've noticed.... in the console window, I can see that the game is identifying "Out of system memory" as a problem. I have seen the same thing in Call of Duty: United Offensive (the console says "Out of effects memory") since installing this card. I am assuming this has something to do with the choppyness. But what can I do about it? Lowering the in-game settings and resolution does nothing. Lowering the settings in the ATI controller does nothing either. My HD does not need reformatting. How can the card be running out of memory? There's twice as much in the new card as in the old one.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First I would Defrag and I would test your memory with http://www.memtest86.com/

your system should have no problems playing half-Life 2 as I played it on my laptop with about half the stats you have. First check and install video driver update/check your virtual memory/check you don't have any dust in you PC on your fans etc.Check that unnecessary programs aren't running.
Your system should fly with HL2 as I played it on full settings.

Check for spyware,melware etc.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bonk.

Actually, I was doing a little research into the HL2 problem and it seems that it is a documented issue. The frame rate drops when you turn corners into big rooms or when there's a lot of sound, and that's because of a bug with the caching of sound files. Although what I find odd is why I didn't have that issue before when I was using a 9600XT. So it may not be the graphics card after all. However, I do have a similar problem with Call of Duty so we'll have to see.

I took your suggestion and closed all other background programs such as Norton Antivirus and ZoneAlarm, and that helped quite a bit. I can even run HL2 with x2 antialias, although I still have the above problem.

I will also defrag my HD, even though on paper it doesn't look like it needs it, just because I've read that it has fixed similar problems for other people.

I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
aside from defragging your HD, try installing the latest 5.9 CAT Driver to see if that help resolve the issue....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I tried defragging and I was right that it didn't need it. Defrag took all of 30 minutes to complete. And it didn't make a difference to HL2. Call of Duty, on the other hand, works great now after I made sure all other background programs were inactive, as does the demo of Vietcong 2 which I was also having issues with. I still find it strange that I never had problems with HL2 until now, but it does seem to be the game and not the card...

Oh, and as an aside, I had already downloaded CAT 5.9 before I even tried testing the card with games, so I knew it wasn't the driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just played the new Brothers in Arms demo. Same problems again, horrible lagging where there shouldn't be any. When there's a lot going on the game slows down to the point that I really can't play it anymore. Either that or I lower the graphics settings way down.

I'm wondering if it's the power supply? But shouldn't 350w be enough? I have CD-R and DVD-ROM drives installed as well as the usual internal hardware, but that's it.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
My Counter-Strike source gets around 60FPS all on high and AA4x And AF on i got a X800XL and it runes decent not the best i expected but on those settings its acceptable. Im a FPS hogger so i turn my settings way way down.

In hl2 the 9600XT might or will propably perform better, my 9500 pro modded to a 9700 and oc'ed to 9800 clock speeds lasted like maybe 5 hours ? yeah, those were some sweet 5 hours of hl2 gaming haha

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Your 350w may not be performaing well on the amperes. What does the little sticker on the side say?

+5v
+12v
+3.3v
-5v
-12v
-3.3v

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.