Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I stumbled upon this forum trying to find someone with the same problem I wasn't able to fine one. So of course my first post is a question.

Anyway, I purchased a Dell which came with an ATI x600SE 256MB and games seemed a little slower that I had thought they would be with my system and I recently played a demo and it gave me my specs and it said my video memory was only 128. This is the second time I have noticed this, the first I ignored it. Am I missing something? Did I get hosed? In my device manager it does say 256 but I don't know if I haven't configured something correctly or what my problem is.

I did notice in my Device Manager under Display Adapters there are two entries: RADEON X600 Series and RADEON X600 Series Secondary. If that has anything to do with it, I don't know.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Dell Dimension DIM 5100
Windows XP Pro SP2
Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ
DirectX 9.0c
Updated drivers
512MB Ram

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'd go with the size stated by the device manager rather than the size given by some game or demo. If you'd like another way to check then you can run Everest. It gives all kinds of detailed information about your hardware including your video card. You may have the 256MB hypermemory version of the X600. That means that it has 128MB of physical video RAM installed but it uses RAM on the motherboard to appear to be a 256MB card.

When it comes to game speed, you have to take into account that an X600 isn't very quick at current games. It is about the same speed as a Radeon 9600 or 9600 Pro depending on the model. It can run current games but it's not going to run them quickly.

RADEON X600 Series and RADEON X600 Series Secondary
That simply means that your video card has two video outputs: the primary monitor, and the secondary monitor. That's not a problem. They both appear even if you're just using one monitor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I do have the hypermemory one. That isn't explained at all of course when you buy the thing but I guess I should have done at least some research. Do you think I would be better off keeping that card in my system or replacing it with my NVIDIA 5200FX card from my previous computer.

Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Your machine has a PCI-Express x16 slot so you can only insert PCI-Express video cards. Your FX5200 is an AGP card so you can't use it. Your X600 is a step up from an FX5200 anyway.

If you're looking for more video card speed then you'll need a new video card. If you're willing to part with some money then there are some good deals around like this 128MB Radeon X800 for $122 or 6600GTs for about $130 and up. The X800 is the quicker of the two and both are a big step up from an X600. Your power supply might have to be upgraded but it would probably be able to handle either of those cards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.