Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately ive been having some display troubles. As a part of troobleshooting a game I attempted to install the latest Ati Radeon driver for my Radeon 9000/9100. When I try to install the catalyst driver 5.10 (newest from the ati site), however, I get the following error:

Severe
Setup was unable to complete the installation.
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA adapter before running setup.

so i went starting up with VGA enabled, and nothing works...

got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'd run ATI's catalyst uninstaller. That should thoroughly uninstall your current drivers. Then reboot and try to install the drivers you've downloaded from ATI. If the new drivers don't work then uninstall again with ATI's utility and try some older ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep.. uninstalled it, and the catalyst installer still wouldnt work, i have ran in VGA mode with the installer, no help at all... still comes up with that error when installing driver... i have tried to use the old driver patch - 5.05 stil has the problem (i dunt wana get any driver older than that)... i have even uninstalled the driver from the control panel but no help...

this is totally weird....

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I googled around a bit for your error message and found a few people with the same problem. Only one person in a two year old thread managed to solve the problem. He got his Radeon 9700 running by switching to the Omega drivers. It apparently has its own installer. You might as well give them a try. From the looks of the other threads it looks like the problem may be something which is upsetting the installer and if you can just get the driver installed it may work properly.

Edit: Oops! I just noticed that the link I gave you to the Catalyst uninstaller in my first post is broken. The MORONS at ATI have decided to prevent external links into their website. Apparently it was too easy to get help from ATI the old way so they decided to make it more difficult by preventing direct links. There's directions on how to get the uninstaller utility on this page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.