Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI Radeon X1600 Pro

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  TheMatt 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new video card, all I've got right now is an ATI Radeon X300SE (128MB HyperMemory). I'm considering the Radeon X1600 Pro for a mere $204 CND from Tiger Direct. I've got a Pentium IV 3.2GHz processor and 1GB of RAM.

Does anybody have any opinions/advice in this decision? If you wouldn't recommend the X1600, can you point me to another in the sub-$200 range?

#5 ·
Thanks, another question.

Thanks for the links, but I found the X1600 for $180 stocked at a nearby Future Shop. I'd much rather buy a PC component from somewhere I can walk back to, in case I have issues.

Now, I've been looking into the X1600, and a considerable amount of people are reporting issues with it upon installation, or months later. Most believe its their PSU (I've got 350W), and some are saying it isn't compatible with the Dell Bios (I own a Dell), having to send it back to ATI to have it 'made compatible'. This is kind of turning me away from the card. Think I should buy it?

#6 · (Edited)
If you can afford this card, go for it, it will wam the X1600 out of the park:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150209

You should definatley look into another PSU, as these are high power cards, and that would be a likely cause of issues. What model Dell is it? This would be a good choice if it is compatible:
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47D

If you want to get it at a shop nearby, look into the 256 MB version, as the X1600 can't use the extra memory, and the memory speed is slower. If you see the X1900GT, look into that instead.

#7 ·
After reading about all of those issues with the Radeon X1600 Pro, I've looked into the X1650 Pro. It supposedly fixes all of the X1600's main issues (such as the tale of non-compatibility with the Dell Bios). I found it again at Future Shop on sale down from $250 to $180 this weekend.

That card recommends a 450W PSU, so I'll most definitely need an upgrade. I have looked into the X1900 series, but they're all a bit out of my reach. That GeForce 7900GS looks quite promising, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.