Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm not a native English speaking person, so I apologize in advance for any weird sayings and errors.

I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows XP Pro + SP1. Everything works, ... until I install my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro drivers. I've tested several drivers; the official Catalysts, v3.6 to 3.8, and the latest Omega drivers (modified Catalyst drivers). All give me roughly the same result:
When rebooting, after the Windows XP Pro loading screen, when the "Welcome" screen is supposed to appear, my monitor goes to standby mode, and my system restarts (in the case of Catalyst 3.6 it restarts after 20-40 seconds, and not immediately as is the case with the other drivers).

I installed the drivers in the 'correct' way; removed other drivers, cancelled the default Windows drivers, and even once didn't cancel them just to test it out.

After one of these failed boots I'd go into Safe mode to remove the drivers and then Windows boots normally again. However, twice when going into Safe mode, windows also gave me this error:

------

Microsoft Windows

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown.
Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure.

The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation.
Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
The display driver for RADEON 9700 PRO seems to be responsible for the system instability.

------

And then the lines where it says you can submit an error report to Microsoft.

Does anyone have an idea what can be the problem? I have an Asus A7V333-X mainboard, an AMD XP 2600+ CPU. Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update!

After lowering my resolution to 800x600 from 1024x768 and installing drivers I finally made some 'progress': When before the system would restart, my monitor now switches to standby for like 10 seconds, after which it turns on again and shows me the Welcome screen and the Windows desktop thereafter.

However, graphical errors appeared the first time I got at this point. Screenshot:
http://cop.gamepoint.net/files/errors0.jpg
After I rebooted again it became even worse (I'm surprised I could even take the shot and save it like this):
http://cop.gamepoint.net/files/errors1.jpg

Perhaps anyone can tell me more now? Thanks in advance!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.