Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased the new Windows 7 home edition and installed it on my other two laptops. This was very quick and easy, however on my desktop I'm having one huge issue. I can't find drivers for my ATI Radeon 8500 video card. Since I play a lot of games it's pretty much useless at this point. I was wondering if there was anyone else who has had and has resolved this problem, or if there is another way for me to fix this issue. Thanks

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts
There were never any Vista drivers for the 8000 series ATI cards either as will not support the Aero interface, you can install the XP drivers by right clicking on the Setup.exe file and running in compatibility mode(providing it's the 32bit version of Win7).
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php/download.php?det=270

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having some problems downloading from the link you've provided. I'm not sure if I'm just semi out of it from messing with this all day or if there's something wrong with the link.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How to Get Support for Legacy/Radeon Cards on Windows 7

I spent about an hour on this and found a solution. Go to ATI's support site:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/radeon-prer300-xp.aspx

Download that package, extract it but DO NOT INSTALL IT. Then open device manager and click on "Update driver" for the graphics card, which in my case was reading "Generic VGA blah blah blah." Then, click on "Browse my computer for driver software." Specify the location which you have extracted the catalyst software to, the default being:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185\Driver

It will install the new driver automatically. Restart and bazinga.

Note: The first time I reinstalled my screen freaked out like it had short circuited. However, I also made many other changes before restarting. Upon restarting in safe mode, uninstalling the driver, and then booting up normally and installing only the Radeon 8500 drive everything worked fine. I recommend setting the resolution to the lowest possible numble, 800x1024 or something before restarting to ensure you do not encounter maximum resolution problems that your monitor may not be capable of supporting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.