Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone and thanks for your time. I am running a newly upgraded PC with a Sapphire VaporX HD 4870 on an ASrock A780GXE/128M. Everything is great with XP Pro and Win7x64, but I am accustomed to running Win2KPro on one of my drives also for older game support.

To get to the point... can anyone here suggest a method for running an HD4870 in a Win2k environment. I cannot locate any drivers to allow this. I can do without CCC and use ATI Tray tools or Riva Tuner if I could just get my graphics and OS to play together nicely. I just can't seem to bear parting with some of my older games, and don't require max performance... even the onboard video should be good enough if I can get it running in Win2k.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and your time :)

Also forgive me if I have commited a forum sin since I also posted this question on the Video Cards Forum. I was hoping that the Win2K experts here might be able to help... well that and I'm desperate o_O

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Any ideas at all are welcome.

Or if you know it to be impossible to run an HD4870 in a Win2K Pro environment, please let me know so I can stop chasing my tail :D

But I would miss the greatest PC Baseball I have ever played :/

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The last generation of cards ATI made drivers for Windows 2000 was the Xnnn series (X300 to X850). After that (X1nnn and up) there are no Windows 2000 drivers.

I'll just toss in an anecdote and a couple of ideas. I have an Athlon XP 3000+ (circa 2004). About a year and a half ago, I found an ATI FireGL X1 (128MB AGP 8x) graphics card for $22 at a computer show (NO JOKE!) Those things sold for like 700 (american) bucks when they came out. Of course I grabbed it and that was one of the best bargains I ever got.
It works beautifully. Now, I tinker around with OSes quite a bit, and I wanted to go back to Windows 98 for old time's sake. (Had to take out the two 1GB memory modules and put back the 2 old 256MB for it to work, but that's another story). But there were no FireGL X1 drivers for Windows 98 (or SE). So I used what I knew about the card. It was basically a Radeon 9700 card with optimizations for OpenGL workstation work. So I found the Radeon 9700 drivers and (force-) installed them, and everything worked beautifully.
Now for the ideas.
First just try running the XP display drivers installation program. Sometimes it won't even complain and work just fine.
If that doesn't work, run it, but don't complete it. When it's done extracting but starts installing, cancel it. The files should be extracted to C:\ATI\Support\9-11_xp32_dd
Do a manual driver install, and point to C:\ATI\Support\9-11_xp32_dd\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF and force install it if it lets you.
If that still doesn't work, you may have to tweak the inf file and make it Windows 2000-compatible. I'm not sure how to do that.
I took a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2inf.mspx
and
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/XPinfguide.doc (use Microsoft word viewer if you don't have word)
and on page 10 and later it describes the differences in inf between XP and 2000.
Apparently
[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTx86
should mean it works with 2000 too (if I read correctly) - which is why I suggested running the install anyway.
If it was XP only, I would expect NTx86.5.1 (according to page 11)
Page 15 has some examples.

With all that in mind, keep in mind it might still be a dangerous thing to try. I doubt trying out a driver not designated for the OS will result in a fried card or motherboard, but I can't guarantee it can't happen. I think a more likely negative result would be BSOD's. Try at your own risk.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You blah789 for your reply. It definately gives me some hope and a way to tinker, and possibly learn something new. Your suggestion is definately worth a try and I'll post back here to let you know if I have any success... or if I learn something new :D

Thanks again for your effort and time ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... no luck with Win 2000 and new ATI gear.

At least I learned a few things, and for that you have my gratitude.

It would seem that the most important bit I learned is that I simply must get another controller other than my old Game Port MS Sidewinder. A gamepad with Win XP support if I wanna keep playing my favorite Baseball game... High Heat 2001.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.