Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to update my computer because I am sick of running on a slow and horrible AMD K6.
I am wanting to update to an Athlon XP but a friend of mine told me that they can only be run on a WinXP system and I only have Win98.
Now I know a lot about computers and this doesn't make sense to me. Why would a company put the effort into making a processor that not a lot of people could use due to the fact that WinXP isn't on very many personal compters?
Well, if you can answer my question (if you even understood it) please reply soon because I am wanting to update sometime this week.

If the answer to this question is that Athlon XP only works on WinXP, could you give me a suggestion of another good CPU/Motherboard?

Thanks for any help,
--Johnny

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums Virus_Commander..............:D

Your friend needs to get his computer skills re-evaluated.

Your Windows 98 Operating System will work just fine.........:winkgrin:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
That's actually pretty amusing, and it shows how confused some folks are about technology! :D

FWIW, there is a grain of truth in the statement, sometimes a new motherboard will be problematic for W98, since the software was not designed to use it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to buy my new CPU this week since it will work for my system. I am also going to go up to my friend and give him a big fat "I told you so!!" just cause that's the kinda friend that I am :D

Well, I hope to see you all around in the forum!
--Johnny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.