14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
I have the following:
Elitegroup Chipset
Athlon XP 2000+
384 MB PC133 SDRAM
40 GB WD HD

I just installed XP on the 40 GB WD HD, which is primary master on my system. The current configuration with hard drives (which the 40 GB has a 5GB behind it dual boot) has worked before, although I dont have an OS installed on the 5GB yet.
Anyway, the system hangs a lot. It does all its fast processing at one time, and then slows down, and then goes fast, and slows down. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
I tried putting in more RAM (to little avail, and I know 384 MB is sufficient), I tried changing the IDE Cable..... any ideas?
thanks.

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Why did you double post the same question. I told you in your other post athalons and XP dont play with each other. I also suggested switching to intel and that should resolve alot of your porblems. If you say that intels are to expensive you may be able to find a good deal on one Here

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured maybe I would try in a different forum too (supposing its related to OS, not hardware)... Sorry if i offended you. Actually, I cant afford an Intel, or a new Intel board(Im a high school student). It sucks. Oh well... But I really dont want to have to buy more stuff for this money pit.

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Well I dont know how much you paid for your atholon but you can get a 2.0ghz pent 4 for $185 that include the motherboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is not the processor causing that problem..as for cpu's intels are about twice the price or more at the lower levels 2.5ghz and lower ...there is something else wrong ..if you can you might want to consider reformating and installing xp totally..no dual boots no nothing just xp..
I have both types of cpu's and they have there strengths and weaknesses but operating system dependancies are not cpu specific to that great a degree (not enough to make that big a difference as you described) ..and always do a windowsxp update whenever possible for new drivers and critical updates..
I would mention that if you do want to upgrade DDR memory and the newer motherboards will make a big difference..athlon 1700's can be overclocked to a great extent and a lot are not multiplier locked...and the motherboards are relatively inexpensive..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.