Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about had it with my computer. I am this close to putting it out of its misery. I have been having problems with it for almost a year now. The only reason I don't have a new one, is that I couldn't possibly afford it.

Where to start? About 10 months ago I started getting random freezes and shutdowns on my computer. The computer would lock up or restart when loading, and would crash randomly during programs. This become more and more frequent until eventually it refused to start up at all. I took it to a computer place and had them reformat the hard drive.

For the first few weeks everything seemed to be working just fine. There were no crashes or freezes, and all my gaming programs ran smoothly. Then the problems started to creep back. Now my problems are as follows. Whilst running no programs or an internet search engine, I get freeze-ups. Playing video game I either get crashes to desktop (more frequent), or my computer restarts altogether (less frequent). When I say crashes to desktop, it really is more like a blip to desktop. The program doesn’t make any funny noise, or give any other kind of warning, it just shuts off….BLIP.

I have tried various programs to scan for spyware, Trojans, etc. (Adaware, Spybot SD, AVG, Symantec, Panda), and cleaned out the several small things I found. This did nothing. I clean my temp folders regularly, and until a week ago had no problems. This week however, there are temp files called Perflib_Perfdata*** that I can’t seem to get rid of. The only thing new I have installed on my computer this week was updated drives for my video card, and that Castle Attack 2 game from Firefly (the “demo” for Stronghold 2).

I checked the Event Viewer and found a number of past errors. There are three ones that are most common; PerfNet, vsmon.exe, and ctltask.exe. There are also a large number of errors with no information. I checked out the possibility of virus problems associated with these programs, but could find no traces of viruses in the specified locations on my computer. During CTD’s, no error message is posted in the Event Viewer.

I also posted a Log file in the Log section of this forum, but they found nothing of danger.

I am running out of ideas and patience. Doing what I have done so far has been a stretch for me, as I really know jack about computers. I have been learning as I go. I really don’t know what else to do though – short of reformatting my hard drive again. Please help! :sad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply. My system specs are,

Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4, 1800 MHz
MSI 645 Ultra (MS 6547) motherboard
Radeon 8500 Series (128 MB)
512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
300 Watt PSU
60 GB hard drive

The Everest readings in Computer > Sensors,

Temperatures,
Motherboard 49 C (120 F)
CPU 36 C (97 F)

Cooling Fans,
CPU 2679 RPM

Voltage Values,
CPU Core > 1.47 V
Aux > 0.01 V
+3.3 V > 3.34 V
+5 V > 4.95 V
+12 V > 11.92 V
-12 V > -11.38 V
-5 V > -4.85 V
+5 V Standby > 5.04 V

The PSU calculator calculated my power needs as being 192 Watts. However, I wasn’t sure about all categories. For instance, in the CPU part, the closest I could find to my CPU was listed as having a max power usage of 64 Watts. However, on the Everest program under CPU physical info, it rates maximum power usage running from 49 – 109 Watts. This would change my power needs to 237 Watts.

The next few sections were ok, but I wasn’t completely sure about PCI cards. I assumed that referred to the cards hooked up to the back of the computer. I checked off the one for the Sound Blaster, and one for the PCI Network Interface, as I use Ethernet.

I put nothing for external devices, as the only things hooked up to my USB ports, is a printer that is off when not being used (and has its own power supply), and a joystick. I also didn’t find anything under Other Accessories that my computer has.

Let me know if there is any other information you might need.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had another CTD, this time with an error message in the event viewer. It reads as follows,

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
You stated you have used (Adaware, Spybot SD, AVG, Symantec, Panda), you do not have 3 anti virus program installed do you? This can cause conflicts and system slow downs.
Honestly, I think you are having hardware issues, the best way to resolve this is to remove all adapter cards and boot from the minimal devices to eliminate the cause.
Also I want you to use a manufacture diagnostic utility to test your hard drive.
Take a look at the hard drive, jot down the manufacturer and model. You can use the manufacturers diagnostic utility to check the intergrity of the drive.

Check Here for your manufacturers link

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran the memory test, but found no problems. I also tried using a Microsoft memory test, which also found no problems. By adapter cards, do you mean the video card, sound card, etc.? What do you mean by booting from minimal devices, and how will that eliminate the cause of the problem? I’m really not sure what to do. Sorry for my ignorance.

Can I take it that the voltage and temp numbers I posted were all within acceptable limits?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
What do you mean by booting from minimal devices, and how will that eliminate the cause of the problem?
Booting with only minimal devices will determine if your having a hardware issue. I start with just the ram and hard drive, adding each device back in after the system has been checked over and the issue does not arise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.