Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've spent countless hours trying to resolve the following problem.

After about 20-30 minutes of bandwidth usage I always disconnect suddenly. It stops my downloads, kicks me out of gaming servers, and halts streaming video.

The connection quickly re-establishes itself moments later, with no notification that it ever disconnected.

I've done all of the obvious recommended steps:

-I've updated the firmware on EVERYTHING. Modem, Router, COMM Ports, you name it.

-Disabled Firewalls to see if I still have a problem.

-System Restored.

-I've played around with nearly every setting possible in any menu. (I.e. the modem/router device manager advanced options, and the router's main page)

-I've run virus scans and spyware scans so brutally that they come up with nothing now.

-I've tried different Ethernet Cables.

-I've disabled TCP/IP Offloading

-I've lowered my MTU

-I've made sure that no dubious software was installed.

Some things I've done to try and diagnose the problem:

I ran "ping www.google.com -t" in the command prompt for a while and watched it one of the times I disconnected. It returns a Request Timeout.

I've run programs like Wireshark and Colasoft Capsa:

-Wireshark returns "Destination Unreachable (Port Unreachable)" Whenever the problem occurs and rarely, a "Malformed Packet" error.

-Colasoft Capsa constantly spams "Port Unreachable" and Checksum Errors.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL Router, With a Arris TM502G Modem, running comcast high speed cable.

What in god's name could be the problem? And what can I do short of buying new hardware or reformatting?

Please Help :(.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Did you reinstall the NIC drivers, when you did your troubleshooting?

I've run virus scans and spyware scans so brutally that they come up with nothing now.
I'm a little troubled by that statement. What was it that the scans were finding?
This is in XP right?

Windows XP
Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > CMD)
Type the bolded commands in the command prompt window:

Reset TCP/IP Stack: netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reset WINSOCK entries: netsh winsock reset catalog

When finished reboot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you reinstall the NIC drivers, when you did your troubleshooting?
Yes.

I'm a little troubled by that statement. What was it that the scans were finding?
This is in XP right?
Just a few moderate level threats. The comment was made because 90% of all computers seem to have spyware, not because I had a significant problem; Yes, I do have XP.

Windows XP
Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > CMD)
Type the bolded commands in the command prompt window:

Reset TCP/IP Stack: netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reset WINSOCK entries: netsh winsock reset catalog

When finished reboot
I Reset the winsock entries, but I couldn't find out how to reset the TCP/IP Stack.

The command prompt wouldnt let me type it all in at once, I had to type netsh, enter, winsock, enter, reset catalog

After following the same steps for the stack, I get to reset and it says "The Syntax supplied for this command is not valid."

I tried reset resetlog.txt, reset reset.log, reset resetlog.txt, reset reset.txt

It says "Examples: reset resetlog.txt"

Update: I went here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q299357#FixItForMe and used the program to reset the stack.

Still no change in my connection.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yes.

Just a few moderate level threats. The comment was made because 90% of all computers seem to have spyware, not because I had a significant problem; Yes, I do have XP.

I Reset the winsock entries, but I couldn't find out how to reset the TCP/IP Stack.

The command prompt wouldnt let me type it all in at once, I had to type netsh, enter, winsock, enter, reset catalog
Well there is something screwy going on there, typing it in one word at a time should be giving you errors. I want you to try this and see if it finds anything. You will most likely need your XP CD.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Ok back to the networking problem. Boot into safe mode with networking and see if you still get disconnected. Does this happen with another computer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.