Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We installed an ASUS V9999 on an ASUS P4R-800 Deluxe motherboard.
First we tried the newest official NVidia Forceware driver. But the system hangs up (with a black screen, underscore blinking in the top left corner) somehwere at the end of the driver installation. After that, windows is unable to boot so we had to uninstall the driver in safe mode (worked fine, fortunately).

So we tried the ASUS driver (which are recommended because of the special features like system monitoring and hyperdrive, I guess) from the CD and they worked fine. The drivers from the CD are very outdated (based on Forceware 62) so we downloaded the latest ASUS driver from their support site, which are based on Forceware 78 (at least it seems so).
But the setup routine displays an error (unfortuantely I don't know what it says, but it was something meaningless iirc ;)) and cancels the installation.
We tried installing the driver through the windows device manager too, but it doesn't find any driver information for this card in the specified folder (extracted driver folder). It's also weird, that windows demands drivers vor a "V9999 v62.1"... 62.1 somehow indicates the first installed driver, based on the Forceware 62.1? How can that be?
Another weird thing is, that the zip archive for the latest ASUS driver from the asus support page seems to be corrupt. WinZIP and WinRAR say, that the file 'setup.inx' (iirc) in the archive is corrupt. TUGZip extracts the archive without any error.

btw. we used Driver Cleaner Pro everytime we tried to install another driver (although we couldn't use the cab cleaner becuase Driver Cleaner hang's up after pressing start in the cab cleaner).

So... do you guys have any advice for installing a new driver for this card (without missing the monitoring features)? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Real_Bullet said:
i am confused, you trying to install a motherboard driver or video card driver?

nvidia.com has the geforce drivers, not asus.
Video Card Driver, of course ;) ASUS V9999 is a video card with the GeForce 6800 GPU. ASUS P4R-800 is the Motherboard on which we installed the video card.
Because of the special features it is recommended to install the video card driver from ASUS, not the official Forceware driver from NVidia. And as i said, the system hangs up during the installation of the official Forceware drivers.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I take it Your video works if it is running on the onboard video? If so what you will need to do, is in device manager disable the ATI (onboard Video). Shut down, Install the V9999, restart, New hardware will be found, when it asks for where to look for drivers point it to the disk you got with the Video Card. It appears you are trying to use the drivers from the MOB disk (ATI) with an Nvidia (Gforce) card.
You can only use the video drivers on the MOB Disk for the Onboard ATI video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, no... i don't try to use drivers from the motherboard disk... as i already said, i try to use the ASUS video driver for the ASUS V9999 video card :rolleyes:
And as i also already said, the old ones which come with the CD of the Video Card are working fine, but... they are old, so i'd like to use newer ones.. and, for the millionth time :grin:, the newest official ForceWare driver hangs up at the end of the installation, and the newest modded driver from ASUS won't install at all.

And the onboard video card was deactivated the whole time. Before the V9999 a Matrox video card was installed.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I under stand now :sayyes:. From what I have read on the NVIDIA site forceware is only for the 6600 and 7800 series. :4-dontkno
Looking at the Asus Site the drivers for that card (6800 Series) are 78.1 or the enhanced 1.18.
As for the corrupt down loads what memory did you install in this MOB :question:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldmn said:
I under stand now :sayyes:. From what I have read on the NVIDIA site forceware is only for the 6600 and 7800 series. :4-dontkno
Looking at the Asus Site the drivers for that card (6800 Series) are 78.1 or the enhanced 1.18.
As for the corrupt down loads what memory did you install in this MOB :question:
No, ForceWare are for all NVidia Riva TNT2 or GeForce cards, not only for 6600 and 7800.
I tried to decompress the archive on different pcs, same error everywhere. But I think I only tried the european download link, perhaps it isn't corrupt on the other ones (but I can't try it before tomorrow).
The so called "ASUS enhanced driver" can be installed after the ASUS video card driver, not before and not with the official forceware driver.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Use the nvidia driver and the tweek it with Rivatuner then download the most recent Smart Doctor.. Do not use the the ASUS drivers only the smart doctor to overclock it. Make sure you have the memory allocation correct in the bios 64, 128, 256.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.