Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had problems installing video card drivers for Asus V9560 ??
everytime ive tried to install them i get a windows protection error,or it wont boot up except in safe mode and telling me i have a video driver problem.
Ive installed the most recent version of the bios for motherboard,also chipset... (mobo is P4C800-E Deluxe)
im kind of lost on what to do now,can anyone help?
thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, i'm having the same problem trying to reinstall from scratch all the components in my system . You won't get the problem if you install the video card before anything else . However you will get it with the next component you will install .

Problem seems to be relevant to P4C800 itself - not the videocard.

I'm still investigating , but i found an article at Microsoft talking about getting PROTECTION ERROR trying to run CPU faster than 2.1 Ghz under WIN98 (my situation) . There's a fix available through the support (!) but does'nt seem to be freely available .

Still searching .

I had other problems with P4C800 trying to install Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro - device conflict (IRQ assignation) . I cleared out the problem , disconnecting my USB Cable modem during the Audigy installation .

Intel P4 2.6 ghz
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
(2) Kingston 512 Mb DDR400 (KVR400X64C25/512)
Asus V9560 (GeForce FX 5600 series)
20 GB WD 7200 rpm harddrive
30 GB WD 7200 rpm harddrive
Audigy 2 ZA platinum pro (Sound card)
WIN98SE (about to be replaced by WIN XP pro)

It looks to me that the INF file (even the updated one at ASUS) is not correctly loading on the MB or is in error . All components are currently trying to go on a single IRQ causing Fault protection or device conflicts .

Still searching on that side also ...

Let me know if you found a solution on your side .

·
Registered
376 Posts
What BIOS settings are you using?
Make sure to allow the assignment of an IRQ to PCI VGA.
Make sure to disable PnP OS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi , the Bios setting is (as you stated) :

Plug and play O/S NO
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA to YES .

I'm definitly sure it has something to do with the INF .

If i start my system (format and all) without the INF , i can install the video card without problem and get it to work at all resolution .

If i start my system (again format and all) with the INF , i'm getting window protection error at the boot following the initial video card installation .

So far i tried the INF from the original MB CD , the INF from the video card CD + GART INF , and i also downloaded the latest INF from INTEL . Still the same problem .

I notice an error after the GART INF installation - might be related . I will try to install without the GART INF and let you know.

Thanks for your help and time . Much better in here than with ASUS support .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am having the exact problem as well. Everything goes smoothly up until the installation of the video drivers, then I get the "windows protection error, please restart your computer"

I suspected it may be a problem with Win98se.

I thought I could get away without having to upgrade my OS right away in my new system but it looks like I'll have to.

The new build is as follows:

P4 2.6 w/800 mhz fsb
ASUS P4P800 deluxe mobo
1 gig(2X512) Corsair Twin X 3200 DDR 400mhz
ASUS Ti4800se 128mb vid card
Dual maxtor 160gb drives
TDK 440N DVD/CD burner
Mitsumi 3.5" 1.44 floppy
Dynapower Spiden case w/ 430W power supply
Formerly Win98se OS, soon to be Win XP pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, and sorry if i took so long to answer .

I finally solved all my issues . The solution is (as simple has it get...) to migrate to windows XP or any new OS .

At some point during my investiguation , i was able to talk to a ''real'' technician at INTEL (not ASUS) . What he told me was surprising dough very understandable .

As such , all those components are compatible with Win98SE ; but if you :

-Try to use advance function (+512m, or multi thread, or anything that win98se does'nt know about)
-Try to use a combination of specifics new hardware (video, sound, ...)

IT WILL FAILED - and in many ways - and not always the same way dough .

SO basically , the lesson learned is that new hardware has to equal new OS . Even if it is working with an old OS , you will never be able to benefit from all the new bells and whistles from your new hardware .

How is it with WIN XP PRO ...

YAHOOOOOOOOO!!! my machine is rocking like i never saw a PC worked before . It's amazing , i did some tests, working mainly with an xcel files that use to take 45secs to load - with my new OS/hardware configuration , it is loading in less than 1 (tiny) seconds. The first time i did that , i though the system could'nt find the file because it went way to fast for my expectation ...

Now talk about gaming ... getting 90fps+ on games like FS2004 - i did'nt know it was possible with all the video options to 100 %

What a surprise ... I'm an happy man now .

Try to get a copy of WIN XP from one of your relatives, friends ... to do a test .. You'l see that all the installations will go all the way without any flaw (yes even with the most recent creative drivers).

Feel free to ask questions ... the solution is to upgrade from win98...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.