Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :smile:

I hope someone in here can assist me with an issue I'm having with an Asus Transformer Book (model: TP550LA-CJ004H) because quite frankly I'm losing my mind lol. :banghead:

The laptop came to me as it was not powering on at all (no LED lights, fan spinning etc...) I checked the voltage of the charger (all OK) then proceeded to carry out a hard reset (without removing battery first, as it's one of those where you have to remove the bottom casing and disconnect from motherboard to remove) and surprisingly resulted in the laptop springing to life.

Upon booting, I noticed that the battery was not being recognised / charging so after opening it up and checking the connections were secure, I went ahead and ordered a replacement. I carried out a hard reset before fitting the battery and managed to fire the laptop up with no problems - the battery was both recognised and charging.

However, upon shutting the laptop down and attempting to power it back up again (just to double check everything was working OK) there was nothing. The orange power LED on the front of the machine is on, but when the power button is pressed the orange light flashes off for a moment then comes back on. If i try this more than a few times, or unplug the charger and reconnect, the orange light goes out completely.

The only way I am able to power up the laptop is to carry out a hard reset every single time. I have disassembled the laptop to double check cables, connectors, RAM issues but to no avail.

If there is anyone who could give me some advice on what the problem may be, or to advise of any extra steps I could try I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

:smile:

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
2,980 Posts
I didn't get what hard reset means..

I would look at replacing the CMOS battery and also check the top side of the laptop under the keyboard for spillage/liquid damage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get what hard reset means..

I would look at replacing the CMOS battery and also check the top side of the laptop under the keyboard for spillage/liquid damage.
Thank you very much for your reply.

A hard reset is where you remove the AC adapter, battery and hold down the power button for 30 seconds or so - draining any remaining power from the machine.

There is no CMOS battery on the board (as far as I can see) I've looked pretty much everywhere as I've had the thing apart. No sign of liquid damage either so not sure what else to try.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator Hardware Team
13,160 Posts
I’ve never seen a computer that doesn’t have a cmos battery. Might not be the usual coin size battery. Could be soldered on or have wires that hook to battery then plugged into the motherboard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve never seen a computer that doesn’t have a cmos battery. Might not be the usual coin size battery. Could be soldered on or have wires that hook to battery then plugged into the motherboard.
It'll probably be in one of the very few places I didn't check. :facepalm: I'll strip the laptop again tomorrow and see if I can find it. Thank you. :smile:

·
Super Moderator Hardware Team
13,160 Posts
I have been looking up your model and really can’t find much on cmos battery. When you say you remove battery and ac power do you have to disassemble laptop to get battery out? Since it under back cover

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been looking up your model and really can’t find much on cmos battery. When you say you remove battery and ac power do you have to disassemble laptop to get battery out? Since it under back cover
That's the problem I was having - couldn't find anything online about where the CMOS battery would be located in that model and I didn't spot it when taking the laptop apart before.

Yes, the bottom cover is removed, the battery unscrewed and then I have to disconnect the cable which runs from the battery directly to the motherboard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you do that does it want you to go into bios
Nope, after I remove the battery and carry out the hard reset it just boots up as normal (fast boot) which is the frustrating thing, it's like nothing is wrong - until you shut it down. Then it won't power up again until I've done another hard reset.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone else have any ideas as to what the problem could be? Am I safe in assuming it may be the mobo?

Thanks, and hope everyone is staying safe.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,479 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For going into the bios and other ideas download the Owners Manual here: https://www.asus.com/us/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS_Transformer_Book_Flip_TP550LA/HelpDesk_Manual/
Scroll down for your language. I don't think you're fully charging the battery.
BTW, the Manual describes the lights actions properly.
Hi, thank you very much for your response. Would there be anything in the BIOS that would be causing this issue?

Battery has been fully charged and problem still persists. The same issue was happening when the battery had been removed and AC adapter was connected. Would switch on fine after draining the power, however when the laptop was shut down it would not switch back on again (unless I carried out another hard reset / power drain).

Never come across anything like this before, it's either worked or it hasn't lol.

Thanks for you time.

·
26,479 Posts
If you can contact former owner, ask why they discarded it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,

I did a Google search using the criteria of your laptop model and the phrase CMOS battery and found this video on YouTube. It is 5:50 AM where I am and I am at my mom’s and brother’s apt staying over and could not sleep. I didn’t want to disturb them by watching the video on my iPad with the sound on so I couldn’t review the video for content relevancy right now. Maybe this will help?

Looking forward to your follow up posts.

Sincerely,

WndrWmn

·
26,479 Posts
The video doesn't apply to the problem. A Notebook is a Laptop "Light". Components are eliminated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello,

I did a Google search using the criteria of your laptop model and the phrase CMOS battery and found this video on YouTube. It is 5:50 AM where I am and I am at my mom’s and brother’s apt staying over and could not sleep. I didn’t want to disturb them by watching the video on my iPad with the sound on so I couldn’t review the video for content relevancy right now. Maybe this will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL97XhontSo

Looking forward to your follow up posts.

Sincerely,

WndrWmn
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply - unfortunately the laptop in the video is different to the model I have, and there is no CMOS battery attached to the board at all.

Unless it's hidden in some ridiculous place, there doesn't seem to be any sign of one. I've checked all cables and connectors running from the mobo but nothing that points to a CMOS battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.