Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a problem with my Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. I have 4 harddrives, one WD Raptor 74 GB (OS-disc), 2 Samsung Spinpoint 250GB and one Maxtor Diamond 10 300GB.

I connect the Raptor to Intel ICH7R SATA-1 connector and the two Samsung disks to SATA-3 and SATA-4. When I try to connect the Maxtor Diamond disc to one of the ASUS EZ-Backup connectors (the orange ones at the bottom of the motherboard) I get an error message that says the "4th mast drive error" or something similar and if I try to connect the disc to the JMicron SATA-connector (the one by the CPU) it's not detected at all.

What do I do? The Maxtor disc works just fine when connected to the SATA-3 or SATA-4 connectors so the HDD is working OK. Are there any specific settings I need change in the BIOS?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've managed to get all HDD to work but it seems impossible to get the HDD to run in AHCI-mode. I've managed to install the AHCI-driver for the Intel ICH7R southbridge SATA ports and even boot up but the problem is that it takes about 5 minutes to start XP this way.

I believe that I've tracked down the problem to a conflict between the on board sound card and the southbridge SATA ports.

When I disabled the on board sound card AND the Q-Fan controll stuff (all fan speed controlling) I managed to boot with all HDD in AHCI-mode and it didn't take 5 minutes, more like 30s.

So, is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? I haven't updated my bios but I see no reason why that would help me since it's almost certainly a driver issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Addition: I could boot with all drives in AHCI-mode ONCE with on board sound disabled and all fan controll functions turned of. When I must have changed something because after that it would boot XP in 5 min but then crash once in XP.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I did find these snipets of info on the intel site

SATA and RAID mode both use the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager and require the F6 installation method.
NOTE: If you are using a SATA hard drive, the best choice is to set your BIOS to RAID mode and install the operating system using the F6 installation procedure; RAID mode allows your system to be "RAID Ready" and also enables AHCI. This mode provides the greatest overall flexibility and upgradeability.
WARNING: Switching SATA modes in the BIOS after installing the operating system is not recommended or supported when a SATA drive is the boot drive. Switching modes may cause an immediate blue screen with an 0x0000007b error code, followed by a reboot.
I am not sure how you setup your system initially, did you create a raid ready, did you install the intel matrix manager

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I know all about the Bsod when trying to switch to AHCI without the proper drivers installed but even with the drivers installed it's barely working as it should, seeing as it takes 5 minutes to boot up. Is there any way to install the drivers from a USB-stick during the windows install? Or perhaps make a slipstreemed XP-disk with the drivers included?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.