Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first of all, Salutations!

This is my first post here so I'll get straight to the point.

I made this thread in this section because I felt like the technicians are a lot more active than the other guys... if it's my bad... tell me :p

I just bought some computer parts and assambled a new PC.
All works fine.

MB ASUS P5ND2-SLI
Proc. Intel Pentium 630 3 GHz, bus 800, s.775, 2MB, BOX
DDR II 512MB PC4300 533 MHz Princeton
HDD 200 GB Maxtor, JB series, 7200rpm, 8MB, Serial ATA
Chaintech GeForce FX6600 PCI-Express 256MB DDR ( low chipset/mem speed )
DVD+/-RW GSA-4163RBB LG
FDD 3.5" Sony
450W PSU no-name... still I measured it and it's a solid one... not variable frequencies

As I said before, All works fine.

The PROBLEMS are:

1. Everytime it boots, cold boot or restart... it takes like 2 seconds before it posts the VGA... might be just some latency ASUS put... I don't know.... just never seen it before with other MBs...

2. The passive NB and SB are getting really HOT... I mean you can leave your skin on them if you forget your finger there for like 30 seconds! I read a lot of reviews saying that this heat never hindered OCing it and it never caused problems... so again, this might be the way this board behaves.

3. ASUS did not put any Floppy with a SATA driver for the big HDDs out-there. I have MS Win XP Pro with SP1 included, without the SATA drivers, it sees my HDD as a 137Gb one. With the SATA drivers loaded from a floppy ( I made it from the MB CD ), it sees my drive as a 194468Mb one... I guess it sees it correctly.
I made a 34Gb/then a 14Gb/then a 24Gb ( i installed it multiple times ) NTFS partition to install Win XP on and there were no problems. I installed it succesefully, ... then when it should load the XP for like the 1st time and ask me if this is the resolution I want and then resize it in like 800*600 with my approval something bad happens because I never get to this step. Well, when the Win XP logo Loading scrren appears, it stops and it gives me a blue creen saying that I should check for viruses, remove any new HDDs I just installed and that, if this is the 1st time I encounter this message, I should restart and try again. I tried all options, even safe mode does the same. At first, I didn't even read the error, I reset and put my MS Memtest BootDisk to check the DDR... but the DDR is fine.

Now I come here and ask for two things:

1. What is the problem? I guess it's because it's not a Win XP with SP2 included... but this is really lame...
2. The proper link for the SATA drivers this MB needs... ( I did not found it on ASUS page )

If you have anything else you might add or tell me about, I will be more than happy to read it.

Thank you in advance! ;)

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would definetly suggest you install SP-2 / there are alot of drive fixes in sp-2 as well as sata improvements

how about bios upgrades ?????? are you running the most current / if not I strongly advise you upgrade your bios with the dos based utility / either afudos or aflash which ever your mobo manual offers / I would NOT use the live update nor ez-bios / both are much easier and both are one shot deals (pass or fail)

how about chipset drivers / are there any newer version available for your board ????

let us know how you progress / dont hesitate to add more info to this thread

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Err... I did said everything works smoothly, meaning that I'm sure all components are fine. The problem is the User in not knowing what is wrong with the HDD drivers....

This motherboard was released like 2 months ago... not so many BIOS updates to look after.

Please read my post again. I never get to enter Win XP, after it's installation, when it reboots to finally enter Win XP, it gives me that error. Nothing worked, I tried reinstalling it a few more times. So, I never get to install any chipset drivers...

The problem seems to be from the SATA drives from the MB CD... the ones I created a floppy with... and I can't find any other new ones on the internet.... help? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
up you go

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.