Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay for some reason when im installing windows It gets past the first part fine and then says something like " In 15 seconds computer will reboot and continue the installation" So when it reboots it stays on the ASUS logo screen for like 30 seconds and then it just has a blinking tiny line in the top left corner like this
" _ " and its blinking...Can it be because im using a dell hard drive from my other computer?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi there....I wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with the hard drive, try removing the cd from the tray and booting up to see if it continues with the installation and then asks you for the cd???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did and it dident work : ( and when I do insert it again it says Boot from cd? and I click a key and it starts all over again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay listen im on my dell right now with the hard drive and I only have 1 hdd so I installed my windows xp on this computer with the SAME harddrive as trying with my custom rig...and it worked fine on this dell but not on the new one...

and no im not using dell xp cd

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hmmm pretty weird...

Don't know what else to suggest ??

Jumpers
Leads
Power Cables

Does the drive show in BIOS at the moment?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Tell us how your drives are set up. Please list jumper settings for IDE drives, brand names, where each is on the ribbon cable, and which is on IDE #1 and IDE #2. List also any Sata drives and where they are connected (ie: Sata....Sata Raid, etc).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ummm hmm this is my first build soo my hard drive is on IDE1 and I only got 1 of them and cd burner is on IDE2 , both are detected...I think the hard drive is a samsung and its from dell , and on the ribbon cabbles where hard drive is its in the hdd spot and board for the board...idk much else to say...Also , idk if its suppose to do this but I guess each time i turn my comp on it does a power test i guess , i click the power button and all fans rev high for a minute then its normal and goes to the mobo logo screen and gives me the option to press delete to go in setup..

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
c0rrup` said:
Ummm hmm this is my first build soo my hard drive is on IDE1 and I only got 1 of them and cd burner is on IDE2 , both are detected.

Is the hard drive on the end of the ribbon cable or on the middle connector???????

Second question, are you using an 80 connector cable or an older 40 connector cable????

Third question, did you partition and format the drive before you started loading the data on it????

It just seems that there has to be a reason for what you are seeing....something appears not to be correct in this setup.

..I think the hard drive is a samsung and its from dell , and on the ribbon cabbles where hard drive is its in the hdd spot and board for the board...idk much else to say...Also , idk if its suppose to do this but I guess each time i turn my comp on it does a power test i guess , i click the power button and all fans rev high for a minute then its normal and goes to the mobo logo screen and gives me the option to press delete to go in setup..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright Responses in order -
1. The end connector
2.The mobo is new and im using the new cables.... ; /
3.I think here is where i messed up....i deleted the partition with all my **** on it....and then installed idk if i created a new one or anything...

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
This could be indicative of either a RAM or Video Card issue.

I'd start with MemTest86.

Download the floppy version, run it and follow the prompts. Once you make the floppy, boot to it in your new system and let it run for 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm well the ram is the right kind for it 667mhz ddr2 2 x 1gb sticks and it detects them fine also..... not sure bout the vid card

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Go to memtest86.com and download the CD iso instead. You may have a bad stick of RAM (the bad register being in a spot not accessed during the first part of the install).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright ill try that , could it be because the ram sticks arent in the same color slot? each ram stick is 1gb ddr2 667 and the slots are black yellow black yellow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.