Case: NZXT Temptest
Motherboard: Asus P5K Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Graphics: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
RAM: 2x2GB 800MHz Patriot Viper Series
HD: Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0GB/s
DVD: ASUS LightScribe 20X SATA DVD/RW
PSU: Rosewill 500W

This is the first computer I've built, so it's not surprising something went wrong. When I start it up the CPU and graphics card fans start going, and all the case fans that I have hooked up start spinning (except one in the front, I'm not sure why..), but nothing shows up on the monitor. Its LED stays orange, like it's not getting a signal. The motherboard doesn't beep, either. I've tried clearing the Bios by changing the CLRTC Jumper just in case it got messed up somehow, but that didn't change it.

And yes, my monitor is connected...

Anybody know what I did wrong?

-niKo
-----------
EDIT:
I just went here, entered my information (High-End Desktop Motherboard, right?), and got 533W Recommended. Looks like my power supply isn't cutting it. I checked it before I ordered the computer and it was OK, but I changed a couple things, and that must've put it other the top...

·
Registered
928 Posts
HOW did you spec the parts for your system? Especially the memory.

Whatever memory you buy must be an exact match to your motherboard.

If you use only written specs, you may end up getting the wrong memory. Many written specs are missing key data. Also, the motherboard manufacturer is the last-word when it comes to what memory you need. You should always go to the motherboard's WEB site to spec memory.

Example: I an MSI fan, for my last motherboard upgrade I selected what I wanted and on the left sidebar was a list of memory manufacturers. One was Kingston (which I'm familiar with), used the link to their site. Kingston had a drop-down list of motherboard manufactures and MSI was one, so I selected that, then they displayed a list of MSI motherboard by MSI model number, selected the one I had chosen, and Kingston returned the memory that was the exact match to my MSI motherboard. The [Buy] gave me choices of resellers, on was NewEgg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't think memory was the problem, after finding out what I did of the PSU wattage. But just in case, I checked here, and from what I can tell, my RAM is fine. When initially picking components I looked in the Specifications tab on NewEgg, to make sure they all fit together. (they did).

-niKo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.