Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a new P5AD2-E Premium board and a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 800 FSB LGA775 retail processor. The memory is one Kingston KVR533D2N4/1G. The video card is a Sapphire X700 256m PCI E.

I have a new Antec SL-350 power supply with a 20 pin connector rather than the 24 pin.

When I first start the system the fan in the power supply and the CPU fan start. Ten seconds later the fans and power supply shut down. there is no post on the screen and no beeps from the speaker. I reseated the processor and the memory and also changed the slot it was in. Still the same. I disconnected the hard drives and CD drive and it did not change. I also installed a regular PCI video adapter and another power supply (SL350). The 4 pin ATX12 connector is installed on the board. I have attempted to start the system with nothing connected, no memory, video card or drives. No change. I have also cleared the BIOS.

I did notice that if I disconnect the ATX 4 pin 12v connector the fan on the CPU and in the power supply remain running. As soon as I connect the ATX 12v connector the fans shut down in 10 sec or so.

This board has not beeped or posted anything. I would also like to verify the proper pinout of the Control Panel 1 connector for the internal speaker. I have one speaker lead to the Speaker Pin and the other to one of the Ground Pins.

Any thoughts?

Ray

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that mobo requires a 24 pin mobo connector to supply additional voltage, I would suggest you get a 20 pin to 24 pin adaptor and see how that works. I would also make sure all your stadouts are in properly and that you are not grounding anywhere, (try running the mobo on a piece of cardboard) and finally even a 350W Antec psu may be insufficent for your setup, consider a psu of 450W or better from PC Power & Cooling, Fortron, Sparkle, Enermax or Antec.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
twajetmech said:
If I'm not mistaken that mobo requires a 24 pin mobo connector to supply additional voltage, I would suggest you get a 20 pin to 24 pin adaptor and see how that works. I would also make sure all your stadouts are in properly and that you are not grounding anywhere, (try running the mobo on a piece of cardboard) and finally even a 350W Antec psu may be insufficent for your setup, consider a psu of 450W or better from PC Power & Cooling, Fortron, Sparkle, Enermax or Antec.
Hi,

First of all, I am not one of those "Atta Boy" posters who just links on another post and says I agree with you just to get a post count up.

However, I think TWA has hit the nail on the head with each point he makes (as usual if my memory serves me correctly), so my suggestion is that you follow through with the suggestions he has given you. I am writing this post simply to reinforce what he has said.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Yeah me too Tumble : :)

350 watt PSU's were in installed back in the P3 days !!!! 550 watts is for todays P4's !!! unless you have the cash to burn up some expensive components >>> low voltage really piles up the ole resistance heat on that expensive rig :(

cheers

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
power supply

twajetmech,

I read the information on ASUS's site and they state that although the 24 pin ps is recommended, the 20 pin will work. Also, it will not fire up even when all power connections are removed, HD's, optical, etc. It only spins the fans for 10 sec or less and no beeps or posts.

I will check the standoffs again, but since the Antec P160 case has a removable motherboard mounting I doubt if there is a short caused by it.

I have an Antec SP450 on order and will check all you suggested.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check Your power connection

Raymond,

I built a P5AD2-E Prem system about four months ago. I use an Antec 380 W supply. You CAN use the 20 pin connector. With the mobo vertical, component side facing to the left, and external connectors pointing to the rear, the plug should go in the bottom 20 pins leaving the top 4 connections on the mobo vacant. It took me a lot of research to match these two things up. I wired it that way and it works. I'm actually looking at it as I type.

Good Luck,
rePete

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Fellas;

How old are those power supplies ????? The newer antec's (p4 ready versions anyway) are supplied with 24 pin connectors and if you want connect to a legacy board the other 4 pins pins detach via removal of a snap clip ????? My point = why run a PSU that is not up to the specs of the mobo ?????

regards:

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power supply

Repete,

I connected the PS in that fashion. In fact it will only fit leaving the top 4 pins vacant. In the DSC1200.jpg you can see the 4 vacant pins to the right. The orientation of the photo is the bottom of the tower is to the left, and the external connectors, USB, Audio, keyboard and mouse are at the top. You can also see the IDE and floppy connector to the right of the power connector. DSC1198.jpg shows the tower layout.

If you would please look at the pinout of the speaker pins on the connector that the reset, HDD light and power switch connectors attach. I need to know if the two speaker wires go to the speaker pin and ground pin. There are 4 pins from right to left, they are desiginated, speaker, ground, ground and +5v. I just want to be sure I have it correct. The boards in the past I used all had a builtin speaker for BIOS error reports.

Joe,
These are new Antec SL350 PS and they also have SATA power connectors. The Antec SP versions have the 24 pin the SL still have 20.

I have built at least 8 systems and this is the first that has stopped me from the start. I am now questioning myself on all the steps in this process.

I appreciate all of suggestions and information from all of you. Please continue your help.

Ray

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I don't doubt you have had success with the 20 pin connector on some of your previous builds, however it is not uncommon here on the forum for individuals to have issues trying to use a 20 pin connector on a mobo requiring the 24 pin connector, even when using the adaptor. Its purpose is to supply additional 12V power to support the cpu and additional video power needs....all of which are boarderline, if not insufficent, with your current 350W Antec. Even if you do manage to get it to boot, it would only be a matter of time before instability sets in and it leaves no room for additional, (upgraded) prehiphrials in the future. Since you are using a PCI-E vid-card I susspect the additional amperage the 24 pin connector supplies to the cpu and PCI-E bus is needed, and a better performance PSU would be prudent. Preferably one with at least 18+ volts on eavh 12V rail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Power Supply

twajetmech,

I agree with you regarding the PS. I have ordered a Antec 450 with a 24 pin connector.

I still don't understand with all the power connectors disconnected with the exception of the 4 pin 12V and 20 pin power connectors the board will not even issue beep codes. I even tried a regular PCI video card. Keep in mind that in the above condition the CPU and PS fans only stay on for 4 seconds.

I removed the CPU and the fans stay on but there is still no beep codes from the board. Should there not be beeps codes indicating there is no processor or something wrong from the board?

Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
set it up out of the case where you can get a good look at it,and check your cpu h/s is on properly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speaker connections

Ray,

I just looked. BTW I have an ANTEC Sonata case, looks like yours is very similar. The speaker connection from the front panel would go on the top right of that header on the mobo. If you look closely at the manual (my p 2-34) you will see that the two speaker connections go to 'speaker' and +5v. The two grounds are vacant. My speaker connector from the front of the case is a four pin, the two in the middle are vacant. Mine is plugged in with the words 'speaker' visible to the top, red wire to the left (+5) and the black wire to the right (speaker).

I tried to get a pic but got nothing useful out of my cam. Hope that helps.

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Power Switch

Here is the solution. I removed the board from the case and powered it up by shorting the power pins. It powered up and the fans continued to run. I looked for shorts, etc. Placed it back into the case, hooked it up and it powered down in 4 sec again. I should have suspected something when as soon as the power supply was turned on the system would attempt to start without pushing the power button on the case.

Come to find out that the power button was sticking, and as soon as it started the board thought the button was calling for a shut down. The SL350 is powering it up and the drive is being formatted as I type.

I will replace the PS with the 450 as soon as it arrives. Boy, the little stupid things that can cause a great deal of wasted time. Sometimes the more you know just confuses the simple solutions.

Thanks you all for your help and suggestions!

Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.