Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ASUS P4T533 motherboard. I had installed a 3GHZ 800MHZchip which ran on the system at 1.51. I learned that a 800MHZ bus will does not work correctly.
I now installed a 2.4GHZ 533MHZ chip. When I turn on the system I don't get anything but a constant continous beeps like an alarm.
I have checked the chip, reinstalled the Ram, and cleared the CMOS. Nothing. still this continous beeps when I turn on the system. Could sure use some ideas.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF: Lord Farqart (Shrek right ???? LOL)

Did you install thermal grease with the 533 cpu when installed

please explain the procedure used to clear the cmos ?????

please give full system specs with psu maker and model ?????

does the cpu fan spin when booting ????

does the video card fan spin if it has one ???

hard drive activity ?????

did you connect both psu connectors to the mobo 20 pin and the cpu 12v - 4 pin ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did apply thermal grease to the chip

As for the CMOS: I took out the battery, shorted the jumper by putting on a jumper cap and then removing it, I then replaced the battery. (How it was recommended in the manual)

All the fans spin except the video card which doesn't have one.

I don't know if the hard drives operates because I cannot tell. After I turn on the machine there is about a 2 to 3 sec interval and then the beeping alarm starts.

psu connectors to the mobo 20 pin and the cpu 12v are connected.

PSU is a 550 watt that I had bought new.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Look here ASUS

Select your CPU and click on the go button, it will offer a BIOS version for download. If your bios is older then you need to update it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Was the 800FSB chip the first one you had in the board? I assume it at least posted with it. Maybe you have a bad 2.4ghz chip or a bent or missing pin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first chip I tried was a Intel 3.0 GHZ 800 bus. It worked except for the fact it only ran 1.5. The 2.4 I tried had the problem. Installed the 3.06 chip and experienced the same problem. I checked the pins but everthings okay

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

sounds like your CPU is throttling back / this can only be caused by either heat or erratic inconsistent voltage

download sandra lite / then post your system temps, cpu temps after running for an hour or so / also post your voltages

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

regards

joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ok so you tried a 3.0 chip and it ran but at half speed because of the motherboard limitations. Then the 2.4 chip did nothing but alarm, and now you tried a 3.06 chip and it alarmed too?

I have a question about the chips you are trying. Is the 3.0ghz 800FSB a Northwood and the other 2 that do not work prescotts?

The reason I asked this is because I read a review of your board and it said that it supports Northwood/Williamette chips. I do not know why it would not run a prescott but I thought I would mention it anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I know they are northwoods.
The computer won't boot at all so I am unable to run the sandra Lite program.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.