Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
windows protect

i myself have run into this problem once or twice, and the time i can remember was when i tried to run my 233 at 266. it would install, it would even start, but it wouldnt finish loading windows. i even turned it back down and reinstalled, and then turned it back up, and it still froze upon boot. i would think maybe you are running at the wrong speed, but thats just a guess. oh and the other time was when i was trying to run my ram at a higher latency then it was made for. i really doubt it is software related, and i dont think xp will make a tidbit of difference :p and i can tell you that my autoexec and stuff is empty also, but many things seem to be starting because of it. and the reason that it gets most of the way through installing is that it has to actually load windows to finish installing, and bad speed settings or overheating will keep windows from starting. i was plagued by this for a while, and it was not the brand new cd i was using, and replacing it with a new one didnt change a thing. i hope this helps, even though you seem to be convinced it is a software problem, you will most likely find that your machine has an error, and will only run dos until you fix it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
wont finish loading

it sounds to me like your processor is overclocked or underpowered, not a problem with memory. and of course not all memory is recommended by a manufacturer, that is usually because the manufacturer tests a number of products on their machine, and that number isnt necissarily typical of what consumers would purchase. the 10 dollar 128-meg memory in my machine isnt recommended by the manufacturer of my board, and it works just wonderful. still, you might be onto something there with the memory, and if all else fails you might try checking the power supply for a low voltage, as this was happening to a machine i just threw away. it could definately also be the motherboard itself, and those types of problems dont always relate to reality. just whatever you do, dont give up :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.