Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put together a computer for my cousin, with the Asus P4S800D-X motherboard, P4 3.0 GHz processor, 2048 RAM. Now here is the problems. I CANNOT INSTALL WINDOWS XP!! When I first boot up it seems to hang just after detecting the hard drive (IBM 80 G). Then it boots from the setup disc says it is detecting my current configuration, then the screen goes blank for a minute or two before it ever loads setup. The first time I tried to install it told me the drive was unknown and the partition was not XP compatible. So I deleted the partition and created a new on. Same thing. So I go into the windows xp recovery console via the setup disc and reformat the hard drive. Then I went back into windows setup and NOW I was able to create a partition and it didn't say it wasn't compatible. It copies everything to the hard drive and tells me to reboot...and here is the problem...it WILL NOT GO BACK INTO SETUP TO CONTINUE!! If I set the hard drive as the first item in the boot list it tells me to go into the BIOS and select a proper boot device or to insert boot media into the drive and press any key to continue. I cannot do ANYTHING to get this hard drive to boot! I tried to install Win 2000 and in the blue setup screen it tells me Disk I/O error status 00008020. I know this hard drive works as I just took it out of his old computer and it ran XP perfectly! He has a smaller newer hard drive and I tried using that and it recognized the prior XP installation and if I try to boot from that it just tells me Disk read error. Can anybody help me with this? From what I can see the Asus P4S800D-X is notorious for this? This is my SECOND try at building this system as the first time he had a gigabyte mobo and it was defective so he decided to just go with a different brand. He is getting pretty frustrated as you can imagine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would run the IBM diagnostics on the drive first to be sure its not the drive. If that passes i would try using half the ram. If the problem persists i would try the other half of the ram instead. Finally i would try putting the drive on a different IDE controller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oldmn: I have it attached to the Primary IDE Bus. The drive is configured as master. I had it connected to the first connector on the 80 wire cable and couldn't get it to work, I then tried using a 40 wire cable and it does the same thing.

Klyptix: I did try running the diagnostics on the HDD the first time I tried setting this system up with the gigabyte mobo. The error I was getting with that one was it would stop at verifying DMI pool data and not go any further. Sometimes it would boot into XP and other times it wouldn't. The first time around I only had the first 1 gig of memory in, since then my cousin bought another gig of memory and now they are all four in. Everything seems to boot fine and is detected in the BIOS I just cannot get this to boot from the hard drive. Is it at all possible that the HDD is not compatible? This hard drive is 5+ years old.

I am at my whits end as to what is causing this. I have built computers before and it went FLAWLESSLY so I am not a newbie at this. I might add that neither of these 2 HDD seem to work with the gigabyte HDD. Once I put them back into his old system with the old mobo and setup they work perfectly. (!!!) So we came to the conclusion the first time that the gigabyte mobo was faulty. But now that they are both doing the same thing with this mobo.... I am ready to pull my hair out over this problem! I have checked and double checked and tripled checked all connections on the motherboard.

This HDD seems to hang or something at detection at bootup, it detects it, then sits there a minute with the HDD light on. Would it be wise to just try going with a NEW HDD? Or is this a problem that can be fixed or a setting in the BIOS?

Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem being fixed

Well I am not going to worry my head about this problem any longer. :sayno: My cousin, who I was putting this together for, contacted the University computer center (my cousin is a campus police officer) and they said they know what the problem is and can fix it. So he is going to take the computer in and let THEM worry about fixing the problem. :grin: They will do it free of charge since he is a University employee. Thanks to all of you who replied with suggestions, but if they can fix it and it saves me from going bald then more power to them! LOL :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.