Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to build a low end Win XP server for my SOHO and I'd like to have RAID 1. This is my first time adding RAID and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources to use for installation info and troubleshooting.

My first major question is, if the ASUS P4P800 mobo I'm going to use has RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, JBOD integrated with a VIA6410 RAID controller, do I still need a PCI controller card?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
OK, no takers so I'll have a go.

I'm looking to build a low end Win XP server for my SOHO and I'd like to have RAID 1.
Not sure this mobo would make the greatest server platform. The CPU speed isn't low-end but for storage connectivity and speed IMO it is low end, one might even say lacking. I'm thinking something with more independent PCI busses, I think maybe the Grand Champion chipset on the Tyan Trinity GC-SL? This has 3 independent PCI-X channels, "independent" being the key word here.

But you did say low end, which PCI-X is not. All the other mobos I know of today have one PCI bus for the whole box.

This is my first time adding RAID and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources to use for installation info and troubleshooting.
The mobo install CD will contain all the manuals you need, though they are sometimes sketchy. There has been a lot of recent discussion on this forum, so that's another place to fill in the missing blanks. Not sure anyone around here is running RAID1 by itself yet, though.

My first major question is, if the ASUS P4P800 mobo I'm going to use has RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, JBOD integrated with a VIA6410 RAID controller, do I still need a PCI controller card?
First let's be clear. The "P4P800" does not have a VIA chipset; its only RAID is over SATA from the Southbridge chip. The "P4P800 Deluxe" is the mobo you are talking about, it has RAID both on the Southbridge (SATA only) and also the VIA 6410 (2 ATA ports, for 4 drives total).

Note that to run RAID 0+1 requires 4 drives on the VIA, plus your O/S drive, CD, floppy, so you better plan on a hefty power supply, 480W at least.

That said, the answer is No, I don't think a PCI controller card would be very useful. You could add another RAID controller on PCI --I have no suggestions for models-- but then you'd need another bunch of HDD's and would likely run out of space in the box (unless you get a full tower), and power, plus you will need more cooling. Also with a second HBA your PCI bus might already be flooded with I/O from the VIA RAID (this depends on your expected traffic patterns... you did say low-end). So No, for low-end with this particular (Deluxe) mobo you would best stick with just hooking to the VIA. So maybe go for 250-300GB HDDs all the way around there.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks clintfan, you've given me some things to think about.

For now my budget can't handle the Tyan board but I will be keeping it in mind for the future.

Thanks again,

John

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well the other thing to point out is a server does not really need it in the CPU department. Its purpose is storage --lots of storage-- and a good fast LAN. You could probably get away with an older full- or mid- tower PC loaded up with a new power supply and a bunch of disks and fans.

-clintfan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.