Pentium 4 2.8 (800FSB)
512 Ram
Ati Radeon 9600 Pro
SB Audigy (OEM)
Antec Sonata Case
Logitech Z-64 Speakers

Help! :)
Brand new system - works perfect except:
Front headphone/microphone jacks on Antec won't work (no sound)

I opened the case and redid the connections from motherboard to case and it still don't work.

Other details:
Headphones/Microphones work on back of souncard and headphones work on Logitech Z-640 center speaker jack.
Headphones/Microphones do not also work on the motherboard onboard jacks.

Is it possible that the Soundcard cancels out the front audio jacks?

My desired situation would be that the speakers are plugged into the back via soundcard and I use the convienece of the headphone jack on the front for headphones as needed.

Thanks in advance

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Apparently only front or back ports can work, but not both. Silly, I know. Look here...

P4C800 deluxe - line out jack, only left channel ?

and here on page 5...

ASUS P4C800 Deluxe Problems & Solutions

Also see your manual section 2.8.13 where it talks about "Front Panel Audio Connector". If my hunch is correct, the jumper caps are routing Line-out signals to the Back connector by default. To stick a front-panel cable on there, you must remove the caps. Now you get to pick up Lineout_L & _R signals for the front panel connectors, but nothing goes to the Back connector on BLINE_OUT_L & _R anymore.

Seems to me some special wiring might get both working without too much effort, I'll see what I can figure out here. But I'm a little worried about what the side effects might be, remembering that the SoundMax stuff is pretty smart in how it can change (and detect?) the functions of all the different audio ports.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Bingo. On my mobo, which is the P4C800-E Deluxe, the BLINE_OUT_L & R pins on the Front Panel Audio connector go straight to the green line-out jack on the rear. I traced it out with a beeper light and a spare stereo plug.

So if you remove the jumper, there's no connection to that rear jack.

Before I give my wiring idea, let me first say this is not a task for the timid. It's fiddly, small work and there are some risks, at least of physical damage. If you want to try this, it's entirely up to you. I've not tried it (my case doesn't have front panel audio) and I'm not about to, so no guarantees. I sometimes get flack for coming on forums suggesting people try some electronic wiring, so this is in that category...

OK, disclaimers done.
My idea for the wiring is to kill all PC power (pull the AC cord), ground yourself, remove the jumpers, then simply wire-wrap a few turns of bare fine-gauge wire between the header pins, across the same places the jumpers were. You need to limit the number of turns, so as not to go too high up the pin. Then stick the front panel audio connector(s) right over the top. Make sure there are no shorts to other pins. Now the Lineout_L & _R signals go to both front and back.

Find someplace to save, or stick the jumpers; depending on your FP audio cable, if it goes only to the lower pins, maybe you can hang one side of the jumpers off the upper pins, if it feels like they won't vibrate off.

Potential risks would include:
1. If you overload the Codec chip and blow something out, IMO very hard to do with line levels. Still you should limit this exposure by only using front OR back.
2. If this gets the SoundMax stuff confused about what's plugged in.
3. You slip while adding the wires, and slice something, thus breaking your mobo.
4. If you need to send it in for service later, but you forget to remove these mods first.

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Sure, I didn't really realize that was an option for you. It wasn't your stated preference, but sure, if that works, go for it.

Some others will probably feel like they want to try the mod.

-clintfan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.