Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
adelmantx - of course the board is dead - it is missing the CPU.

Unless you have reason to pull the CPU (such as overheating), once working, leave it alone!

At any rate - scream to ASUS! Maybe they'll fix the problem. In the meantime, borrow a stick of CL-2 to get going again.

· Registered
3 Posts
It is possible that your heatsink is on too tight.

I (an many others out there) have experienced a problem with this board in which upon booting, there is no video signal, which appears to be a dead cpu or board. If you are using the stock cooler, you can file out the two gray locking arms so they don't push down as hard to lock the heatsink fan down. After loosening it, my computer worked like a dream. :)

· Registered
10 Posts
emobley - this was an ASUS BIOS problem. Apparently they fixed it in the latest 1010 BIOS. Which means your PC3200 would now work as per ASUS intent.

But of course, they wouldn't let people know, would they. It's only your money!

· Registered
3 Posts
ASUS BIOS

I'll try the 1010 bios upgrade....thanks. Of course, I had no way to get to the bios without swapping out the RAM. It would have been nice if the ASUS tech support person I spoke to this morning knew about that.

I wonder how many people RMA'd boards in frustration over this...

· Registered
10 Posts
emobley - I haven't tried it myself yet. I just read it in the ASUS BIOS changes.

Also - I hope they fixed something else. Something in the BIOS (when looking for the optimum settings) appears to be blowing my OCZ RAM. It hasn't done so to my Crucial PC3200.

Right now I have no alternate way of getting into the BIOS if they didn't fix the problem. And I am on a production machine, and I don't expect to get new OCZ RAM for another 8 days of so. Hence I haven't tried it.

If you have other RAM to ensure you can come back up, try it - and let me know your results - after updating to 1010 Final, of course.

· Registered
3 Posts
Bios 1010

dfehlberg - I did get some Corsair RAM and it did allow my box to boot. I read the release notes with the 1010 BIOS, and it does mention a booting issue but it seems to be a different one. On another forum, somebody updated to 1010 and still had the problem we had AFTER the BIOS update. As such, I'm not holding out much hope that I can use the less expensive Crucial RAM.

I did notice, however, that the Crucial RAM will allow me to overclock to 30% but the Corsair only to 20%. However, only the Corsair will allow the so called "crash free" bios to recover after selecting turbo mode.

At this point, I'm goig to stick with the Corsair RAM since it seems to be VERY popular for this board.

Ed

· Registered
10 Posts
ASUS got 1010 half right!

Well, I finally hung my BIOS again! And I did have version 1010 installed.

Overclocking the CPU was the complaint. I powered off. Held the INSERT key upon restoring power & turning the machine on. Lo and behold, I was able to get into the BIOS!

I don't know if powering off the machine is required (power supply), but it works for me. Maybe just the power button itself would be sufficient?
:angel:

· Registered
4 Posts
I sound like I am having the same problem. I was doing a windows repair and when it restarted it said no IDE. I reset the cmos and then I would not get any video signal. I tried reseting it, making sure the video card was in and all of that. I emailed Asus about an RMA a week ago and have heard nothing.

· Registered
10 Posts
zamac_man - No Boot

Hi:

There were only two reasons for a faulty boot.

1. I had a slave drive with an incorrectly set jumper (slave should have been totally off).

2. I ended up with a bad BIOS configuration (RAM settings) - which allowed me to reboot AFTER a song & dance. The insert key did help.

· Registered
3 Posts
1. p4p800 supports win 98 se or above NOT win 98 i had the same problem on installing windows 98 freezes after format
2. i have 2 stick 256 mb 400 mhz pc 3200 twinmos cl 2.5 i set the turbo mode in bios and when i log in to my xp ai booster asks me for restart for changings to take effect at every boot or sometimes i get black scrren after restart and no sound no thing no nothing displayed so i reset the pc for like 3 times and then recovered the system i think the crash free bios worked or don;t know just luck i entered in bios normall and disabled turbo

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.