Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
I reported this problem to ASUS - NO REPLY!

I too ended up with the same problem - that is - unable to get into the BIOS.

I had problems with the OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM - so I bought 2 sticks of Crucial PC3200. The RAM settings were set at 3.0-3-3 and the Crucial worked like a charm. Changed the "Performance Mode" to "Standard" and the Crucial hummed right along. MemTest-86 found no errors and I enjoyed a bandwidth of 2186 unbuffered (4700 buffered). Which isn't shabby.

Now to try setting "Performance Mode" to "Turbo". This is when all hell broke loose. Dead machine. Unable to get into the BIOS. Tried everything - running on 1 stick of RAM, clearing the BIOS manually - to no avail (had BIOS version 1010 Beta at that time).

Now I didn't know about the "Insert" key. But "Delete" sure didn't get me in.

What got me into the BIOS was replacing the Crucial CAS-3 with one of the defective OCZ CAS-2 sticks! Voila! Up and running. Filled in the time, date, etc. (so the clear had worked) - and set the RAM timing to 3.0-3-3 for the Crucial. Turned the machine off & plugged in the 2 sticks of Crucial - all happy again.

However, since I no longer have the 2 sticks of defective OCZ, I am somewhat leery to try to go for that last bit of performance out of the Crucial RAM. Still running with "Performance Mode" "Standard".

I reported the problem to ASUS. What a waste of time. No reply since August 5th.

P.S. I would strongly advise anyone to run MemTest-86 before installing an operating system - for multiple loops. My OCZ became faulty on average 1 in 6 passes - at the high end of the RAM.

I used to swear by Windows 98SE - until I tried Windows XP. I am after STABILITY and PERFORMANCE - in that order of priority. With the P4P800 Deluxe, P4 2.4C and Windows XP - I have just that (unfortunately still with CAS-3 Crucial). I am now on my 3rd set of OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM and hopefully when this one arrives, it will be flawless.

Otherwise, another RMA - this time directly to OCZ in the USA. To date I'm out $25 in shipping charges & still have no working OCZ.

· Registered
10 Posts
adelmantx - try using the "INSERT" key rather than the "Delete" key to get into the BIOS.

I've heard that supposedly works - but I have never tested it. Let me know if it works or not.

· Registered
10 Posts
This confirms the boot problem - which ASUS isn't replying to.

If you choose TURBO with CAS-3 PC3200 (even the certified ones) - if you hang - which you probably will - you are just plain out of luck until you insert a stick of CAS-2! :upset:

How's that for a "CrashFree" BIOS2?! ASUS has outdone itself again! :D

· Registered
10 Posts
adelmantx - of course the board is dead - it is missing the CPU.

Unless you have reason to pull the CPU (such as overheating), once working, leave it alone!

At any rate - scream to ASUS! Maybe they'll fix the problem. In the meantime, borrow a stick of CL-2 to get going again.

· Registered
10 Posts
emobley - this was an ASUS BIOS problem. Apparently they fixed it in the latest 1010 BIOS. Which means your PC3200 would now work as per ASUS intent.

But of course, they wouldn't let people know, would they. It's only your money!

· Registered
10 Posts
emobley - I haven't tried it myself yet. I just read it in the ASUS BIOS changes.

Also - I hope they fixed something else. Something in the BIOS (when looking for the optimum settings) appears to be blowing my OCZ RAM. It hasn't done so to my Crucial PC3200.

Right now I have no alternate way of getting into the BIOS if they didn't fix the problem. And I am on a production machine, and I don't expect to get new OCZ RAM for another 8 days of so. Hence I haven't tried it.

If you have other RAM to ensure you can come back up, try it - and let me know your results - after updating to 1010 Final, of course.

· Registered
10 Posts
ASUS got 1010 half right!

Well, I finally hung my BIOS again! And I did have version 1010 installed.

Overclocking the CPU was the complaint. I powered off. Held the INSERT key upon restoring power & turning the machine on. Lo and behold, I was able to get into the BIOS!

I don't know if powering off the machine is required (power supply), but it works for me. Maybe just the power button itself would be sufficient?
:angel:

· Registered
10 Posts
zamac_man - No Boot

Hi:

There were only two reasons for a faulty boot.

1. I had a slave drive with an incorrectly set jumper (slave should have been totally off).

2. I ended up with a bad BIOS configuration (RAM settings) - which allowed me to reboot AFTER a song & dance. The insert key did help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.