Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
HI Brian48216!

Already tried to clear CMOS? If not so - right beneath your RAID-connector ( IDE3 ) you'll find a jumper called CLRTC which is default set to 1-2. Set this jumper to 2-3 for about 10 seconds , power off ( complete! cable off from pc! ) power on , reboot and enter BIOS - you'll have to setup your BIOS again . After that I'd recommend a BIOS flash to the latest BIOS software. I'm using 1010d.001 beta bios by the time and am feeling quite alright with it...

Greetz
Pen

· Registered
30 Posts
Hmm - okay...to my eyes that looks like a BIOS crash or Mobo defect. Change it!
As ASUS tells in the manual - the default settings of BIOS are reloaded when system is restarted after system failure due to overclocking or hardware errors. In your case it ain't like that and also the reset of CMOS didn't bring the effect, so you have to accpt that the most reasonable thing is a BIOS crash (or hardware defect on the board, but thats hard to find out...).
Change the board - that's all I can advise you after what I've heard here.

Greetz
Pen

· Registered
30 Posts
Re: I reported this problem to ASUS - NO REPLY!

dfehlberg said:
I too ended up with the same problem - that is - unable to get into the BIOS.

I had problems with the OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM - so I bought 2 sticks of Crucial PC3200. The RAM settings were set at 3.0-3-3 and the Crucial worked like a charm. Changed the "Performance Mode" to "Standard" and the Crucial hummed right along. MemTest-86 found no errors and I enjoyed a bandwidth of 2186 unbuffered (4700 buffered). Which isn't shabby.

Now to try setting "Performance Mode" to "Turbo". This is when all hell broke loose. Dead machine. Unable to get into the BIOS. Tried everything - running on 1 stick of RAM, clearing the BIOS manually - to no avail (had BIOS version 1010 Beta at that time).

Now I didn't know about the "Insert" key. But "Delete" sure didn't get me in.

What got me into the BIOS was replacing the Crucial CAS-3 with one of the defective OCZ CAS-2 sticks! Voila! Up and running. Filled in the time, date, etc. (so the clear had worked) - and set the RAM timing to 3.0-3-3 for the Crucial. Turned the machine off & plugged in the 2 sticks of Crucial - all happy again.

However, since I no longer have the 2 sticks of defective OCZ, I am somewhat leery to try to go for that last bit of performance out of the Crucial RAM. Still running with "Performance Mode" "Standard".

I reported the problem to ASUS. What a waste of time. No reply since August 5th.

P.S. I would strongly advise anyone to run MemTest-86 before installing an operating system - for multiple loops. My OCZ became faulty on average 1 in 6 passes - at the high end of the RAM.

I used to swear by Windows 98SE - until I tried Windows XP. I am after STABILITY and PERFORMANCE - in that order of priority. With the P4P800 Deluxe, P4 2.4C and Windows XP - I have just that (unfortunately still with CAS-3 Crucial). I am now on my 3rd set of OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM and hopefully when this one arrives, it will be flawless.

Otherwise, another RMA - this time directly to OCZ in the USA. To date I'm out $25 in shipping charges & still have no working OCZ.
That's right - it's a evidence of incapacity , but it's true. If you don't reach an ASUS tech on the phone - forget about ist. I tried to get an answer to a question about my notebook some time ago - no reply. My last request for detailed information about known bugs and issues concerning ram and dual channel in connection with the P4c800 deluxe I had to wait about 3 weeks to get the (really poor) answer: "Only some small problems with slightly asynchronous working rams...not appreciable..."
But have a look around here - you'll probably find any solution you need.
Support (if not provided by homepage) is one of the weaker sides of ASUS - I always worked with asus ( since i had my first p5a-board with a P1 on it ) and never had real troubles...some bios updates for bugfixes or performance reasons, yes - but thas was it. Tried some other manufacturers too...but they never reached the quality (or even the cost-performance ratio) of equivalent ASUSboards.
But the techsupport hotline is not really that good - if you reach someone at the phone it's okay, thoe people are by the way competent, but the mail support is ... well ... halfhearted.

I think you'll find the answers you need her in the forum...

Greetz
Pen

· Registered
30 Posts
To recitate speedo : "...run in circles , scream and shout!".
RMA your mobo - since the 4 mbit BIOSes have merged, the classical BIOS reset seems to refuse any of the normal resetfuncions.
Had some mails with asus concerning that problem, they told me tha same...what a shame.

Greetz
Pen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.